Discrepancies between adxpublisher.config and msipublish and more

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Discrepancies between adxpublisher.config and msipublish and more

nwein

I couldn't find any documentation about scripting the publishing + auto update (au) an add-in in your document but it wasn't too bad understanding the structure of the adxpublisher.config with regards to the auto update mechanism, everything is commented there pretty well (albeit a few spelling mistakes :) such as:

• <!-- Optional. The edition name of the instalation, e.g. "Public".-->
  • <!-- Optional. If true, ClickTwice will try to download the new version of the updater application if there are any problems with the upodater start. Default - true. -->
  • <!-- Optional. If true, the updater window can be displayed by the double-click, sigle-click is used by default. Default - false. -->

However I did find it a bit odd that you didn't keep the same tag naming between msipublish and the publisher config (e.g. iconFileName vs iconPath, updaterLogDir vs auUpdaterLogLocation etc.), any reason?

Anyway, I finally got my adxpublisher.config configured and it works fine, which is a much better way of publishing since doing it through the VS UI (right click -> publish clickTwice) forces me to fill in all the details again when I'm building a new version (since you grab all the publish information from the msipublish which at that point doesn't have any info about the new version). That is probably something that i'd suggest to fix, it is annoying, but again, worked past this.

The only small little mystery I have is that my publication uploads to my installation path a setup.exe even though the adxpublisher.config has the following settings under the <clickTwice.Settings> section:

• <add key="createSetupExe" value="false"/>
  • <add key="generateMultiLanguagePrerequisites" value="false"/>

Any reason why? It's not a deal breaker, I just don't like to have my installation folder cluttered and I don't have a bootstrap or anything else.
Using ADX 8.7.4425.0
Posted 19 Mar, 2019 09:04:57 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Nir,

Thank you for the pointers!

nwein writes:
However I did find it a bit odd that you didn't keep the same tag naming between msipublish and the publisher config (e.g. iconFileName vs iconPath, updaterLogDir vs auUpdaterLogLocation etc.), any reason?

Don't know if an explanation exists.

nwein writes:
Anyway, I finally got my adxpublisher.config configured and it works fine, which is a much better way of publishing since doing it through the VS UI (right click -> publish clickTwice) forces me to fill in all the details again when I'm building a new version (since you grab all the publish information from the msipublish which at that point doesn't have any info about the new version). That is probably something that i'd suggest to fix, it is annoying, but again, worked past this.

Check the Publisher node: the settings allow creating an adxpublisher.exe.config reflecting all the options chosen in the UI.

nwein writes:
Using ADX 8.7.4425.0

Looks like this is a bug fixed in consequent ADX.NET versions.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 20 Mar, 2019 05:57:34 Top
nwein

Check the Publisher node: the settings allow creating an adxpublisher.exe.config reflecting all the options chosen in the UI.

Oh, beautiful, could have saved me a lot of time had I known that before... :)

Looks like this is a bug fixed in consequent ADX.NET versions.

Also nice, we will update to a later version once we move everyone to use your updater.

As always - thanks!
Posted 20 Mar, 2019 08:32:11 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

You are welcome!

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 20 Mar, 2019 08:39:37 Top