Cannot update ADX

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Cannot update ADX
no uninstall entry in control panel to remove previous version 
Oliver Giesen

I just tried to update to ADX.NET 9.2 Pro Build 4635 but the setup refuses to start because it detects a previous installation (which is correct) and tells me to uninstall the old version first via Add/Remove Programs control panel. The problem is that there is no entry for Add-in Express for .NET in there. There is only an entry for the old version for VCL (which I still need for maintaining an old product).

Any ideas how to go forward? This is my first update with the .NET version of ADX, so maybe I'm just missing something obvious?

I'm on Windows 10 Enterprise using Visual Studio 2017, both at the latest patch level.

One thing that might be worth noting: My "everyday" user account does not have administrative privileges. I use a second account which is a domain admin for installations (exclusively via Run-as, i.e. I typically do not log in to a full interactive Windows session with that account).

Cheers,

Oliver
Posted 06 Feb, 2019 05:54:59 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Oliver,

I suppose the previous .NET version was installed using the other account. If so, log in that account and unistall the previous version.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 06 Feb, 2019 06:31:09 Top
Oliver Giesen

Andrei Smolin writes:
I suppose the previous .NET version was installed using the other account. If so, log in that account and unistall the previous version.

Yes, it was and loggin in with the admin account did indeed finally allow me to uninstall (and subsequently update) ADX.NET. Thanks!

However, after some further digging I'm wondering why the ADX.NET setup is making its uninstall info user-specific in the first place... Literally no other product installed on ym machien seems to do this - not even ADX for VCL! They all put their uninstall info under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE so it can be accessed from any user account... (actually selecting Uninstall from there will then obviously trigger the UAC prompt, allowing me to enter my admin credentials). Just a thought... ;)

Cheers and thanks again!

Oliver
Posted 06 Feb, 2019 07:53:04 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Thank you, Oliver.

That was our design decision on the deployment and activation model. We failed to implement this in Add-in Express for VCL because of the installation software product used.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 07 Feb, 2019 04:30:37 Top