Reinstallation of Word Add-In not automatically registering

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Reinstallation of Word Add-In not automatically registering
If a user uninstalls and reinstalls a new version of Word AddIn, the Add-In Tab doesn't appear. 
Premkumar Elangovan

We recently migrated our VSTO Add-In to use Add-In Express. We are running into a problem with some users with the installation. When a user uninstalls and reinstalls the AddIn, the AddIn tab doesn't appear. When we goto Options->COM Addins, and click the Word Add-In, there is a message 'Not loaded. A runtime error occurred during the loading of the COM Add-in'. To get the Add-In working, we have to manually add the Add-In, by browsing to the installation folder and selecting 'adxloader.dll'. Any ideas what might be causing this issue.

Regards,
Prem.
Posted 28 Dec, 2018 10:56:07 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Prem,

Please reinstall your add-in, start Word and send me copies of these files:

- %temp%\{AssemblyProduct attribute; see AssemblyInfo}\adxregistrator.log in the profile of the user who runs the installer
- %temp%\{AssemblyProduct attribute; see AssemblyInfo}\adxloader.log in the profile of the user who starts Word

I suppose one of them contains an error; note that adxloader.log is overwritten whenever Word loads your add-in. adxregistrator.log gets overwritten when you reinstall your add-in.

Regards from Belarus (GMT+3),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 28 Dec, 2018 11:34:08 Top
Premkumar Elangovan

Hi Andrei,
Thanks for the response. I think I figured out what I was doing wrong. I was going through the following article, and I found the quote about not changing the Product code, that was precisely what I was doing - I clicked yes to the Visual Studio dialog. Now after ignoring the dialog, the MSI appears to be installing fine.

Deploying per-user Office extensions via an MSI installer

"Don’t change the Product code property of your setup project. By default, when you change the Version property of your setup project, Visual Studio shows a dialog recommending that you change the Product code. Click No or Cancel in this dialog because if you change the Product code, you will get a new Office extension installer, consequently the previous version of your extension may uninstall incorrectly when the user launches the new version installation."

Regards,
Prem.
Posted 29 Dec, 2018 19:42:49 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Great!

Regards from Belarus (GMT+3),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 31 Dec, 2018 04:57:39 Top