Outlook issue with HostType (results in ohaUnknown)

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Outlook issue with HostType (results in ohaUnknown)

Alexander de Man

Hello Andrei,

I'm going to send you some more information by email.

Thanks
Posted 17 Jan, 2019 03:42:16 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Alexander,

I've received your project: will test it later today and let you know.

Regards from Belarus (GMT+3),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 17 Jan, 2019 07:27:28 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Alexander,

I'm still unable to reproduce the issue.

- You have a lot of mailboxes; I don't heave none; I use a PST-based store. I'll check if I can do something to reproduce the environment. Also, in the video, I see the following sequence: 1) you click Close All windows, 2) the task bar button becomes clickable *before* the Outlook UI closes; on my machine, the button becomes clickable *after* all windows close. Could you please confirm that you see exactly what is shown in the video?

- At https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/office/developer/office-2010/ee720183(v=office.14) there are sections "Individual Add-in Setting" and "Global Setting". Could you please confirm that these settings are *not* used on on that machine. By this, I try to research the possibility of the module instance to get initialized anew while it finalizes (or something of that sort).

Andrei Smolin
Posted 17 Jan, 2019 10:09:58 Top
Alexander de Man

- You have a lot of mailboxes; I don't heave none; I use a PST-based store. I'll check if I can do something to reproduce the environment. Also, in the video, I see the following sequence: 1) you click Close All windows, 2) the task bar button becomes clickable *before* the Outlook UI closes; on my machine, the button becomes clickable *after* all windows close. Could you please confirm that you see exactly what is shown in the video?

I've created a new Outlook profile on my test pc with just a pop3/smtp connection. It still happens, but it seems to happen less frequently.

No, on my machine the UI is also closed/invisible before the button becomes clickable. But the old Outlook.exe process is still active when I press the taskbar button.

- At https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/office/developer/office-2010/ee720183(v=office.14) there are sections "Individual Add-in Setting" and "Global Setting". Could you please confirm that these settings are *not* used on on that machine. By this, I try to research the possibility of the module instance to get initialized anew while it finalizes (or something of that sort).

I can confirm. This is an export of of that part of the registry:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOfficeOutlookAddins]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOfficeOutlookAddinsADXForm]
"Explorer_olMailItem_DockRight_SizeP"=dword:0000587a
"Explorer_olMailItem_DockRight_State"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOfficeOutlookAddins<secondaddinprogid>]
"ADXStartMode"="NORMAL"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOfficeOutlookAddins<secondaddinprogid>ADXXOL]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOfficeOutlookAddins<secondaddinprogid>ADXXOLADXOlFormsCollectionItem0]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOfficeOutlookAddins<secondaddinprogid>ADXXOLADXOlFormsCollectionItem1]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOfficeOutlookAddinsHostTypeIssue.AddinModule]
"ADXStartMode"="NORMAL"
"FriendlyName"="HostTypeIssue"
"Description"="AddinModule"
"CommandLineSafe"=dword:00000000
"LoadBehavior"=dword:00000003

The global key mentioned in that article does not exist:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\Options\Shutdown
Posted 18 Jan, 2019 07:51:41 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Alexander,

===
An introductory note to all.

Offline, we sent Alexander a sample add-in producing debug messages using System.Diagnostics.Debug.WriteLine(). Alexander gathered the messages and sent to us; the log contains these lines:

00000019             16:37:17.916       [3644] !!! adxOutlookAppEvents1_Quit ohaOutlook         
00000020             16:37:24.699       [3644] !!! adxOutlookAppEvents1_NewExplorer ohaUnknown     

===

Alexander,

We assume that Fast Shutdown is enabled; the registry keys above show that FastShutdown is *not disabled* for your add-in and for all other add-ins. When Add-in Express receives Quit, it runs a method that disconnects from event sources. We think that there's an exception when releasing a COM object which is the source of events (this exception is skipped); we think this can occur if such a COM interface becomes non-working by the time Add-in Express tries to release it.

We suppose this ends with the module left loaded despite Fast Shutdown enabled (Fast Shutdown should delete the add-in with no delay); if the module were unloaded, you wouldn't receive any event after Quit. You can check this idea by closing Outlook in this way without starting a new Outlook; we suppose you'll see Outlook hanging in processes.

You said, there were several add-ins enabled and you couldn't reproduce the issue with these add-ins disabled.

We see these workarounds:
- disable Fast Shutdown globally or for your add-in only
- disable the add-in which is linked with the issue

Please let me know if these work for you.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 23 Jan, 2019 05:39:47 Top
Alexander de Man

Hello Andrei,

Just an small update from my side. After your last message, I've instructed my client to disable Fast Shutdown to see if that helps. So far I haven't heard back from them. I did sent them a reminder earlier this week to check progress. When I know more, I will let you guys know.

Thanks again for your help.
Posted 14 Feb, 2019 06:25:48 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Of course.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 14 Feb, 2019 06:30:53 Top