Click Twice Installation

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Click Twice Installation
Start Excel after Installation 
Michael Kaden

Dear Andrei,

is it possible to start EXCEL automatically after the AddIn Installation via Click Twice & MSI is completed.

We get comments from users that they are frustrated as "nothing happens after installation is complete"

Thank you very much & kind regards

Michael
Posted 18 Sep, 2018 07:05:49 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Michael,

Please check https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5194936/start-application-after-installation.

Regards from Belarus (GMT+3),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 18 Sep, 2018 10:26:09 Top
Michael Kaden

thank you Andrei,

unfortunately this did not help. Perhaps I am not seeing the solution there, but if I am not mistaken the posts and all referred posts point to launching an application with WIX using the command line prompt. However I often do have problems understanding StackOverFlow discussions.

In my case the Excel application EXCEL.exe is not necessarily always in the same location on the user machine so a cmd line would not always succeed, and I also would not know where to include a command line prompt in the MSI installer.

The version_info.xml does also not seem to be the right place.

From other Google research it looks like the choice of starting the application should be in a UI tick box at the end of the installation process? But I guess this always refers to a stand alone program where the installation path is known, not the Office Application related to the installed AddIn.

Is the solution in customising the setup user interface dialog Windows Forms code? Is that possible?

Any other solution available?

kind regards

Michael
Posted 18 Sep, 2018 12:02:38 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Michael,

To locate Excel on a machine, please check https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/9103e044-6e97-43fa-bba6-bbcb29e17cb2/how-to-find-excel-location-with-different-os?forum=exceldev. You will need to verify the suggestions as the page is quite old.

I cannot help you much with starting Excel. I assume you've created a WiX setup project using the Add-in Express setup project wizard and use the WiX Designer to modify the setup project. If so, open Product.wxs and comment out two UIRef elements to get rid of the default UI that Add-in Express creates. Then open the User Interface Editor to modify the UI, add required dialogs and modify the dialogs as required. I assume you need to modify the dialog Id="FinishedDlg".

Andrei Smolin
Posted 19 Sep, 2018 02:30:24 Top
Michael Kaden

Dear Andrei,

thank you very much for your reply.

Up to now I have used the MSI installer, but I think it is better to change to the WiX installer.

Can I have 2 Installer projects (one MSI and one WiX)in one solution and depending on which one I build it will use the selected installer in the publish?

Thank you & kind regards

Michael
Posted 19 Sep, 2018 04:56:23 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Michael,

MSI Installer? Do you refer to the Visual Studio Installer? It is integrated with VS 2010; it can be installed in VS 2013-2017; see menu Tools | Extensions and Updates.

You can publish an .MSI installer created using any installation software product.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 19 Sep, 2018 06:06:47 Top
Michael Kaden

Sorry Andrei,

yes I am using the Visual Studio Installer through the "Add.in Express for Microsoft Office an .Net Setup Project Wizard".

Sorry about the confusion.

So, is there a way to customise the Visual Studio Installer UI Forms?

kind regards

Michael
Posted 19 Sep, 2018 06:56:40 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Michael,

No problem.

Actually, yes. Please check https://www.c-sharpcorner.com/article/customize-user-interfaces-and-pass-user-input-to-installer-c/.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 19 Sep, 2018 07:15:11 Top