Cannot uninstall or re-install (+virus?)

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Cannot uninstall or re-install (+virus?)

Brett Lim

Hi,

Last week my Windows Defender deleted one of Add-in Express files saying it is a Trojan virus.
The file was located in: C:\Program Files (x86)\Add-in Express\Add-in Express for .NET\Bin\Packages\VS2017\AddinExpress.VSPackage.dll

Now I cannot uninstall the software (not appearing in Programs and Features list), cannot use the software at all in Visual Studio, so tried just installing it, but the licence says activation limit exceeded.

Can you please assist how I can uninstall so I can install a fresh new version?

Version is 9.0.4610.0.
I can provide a screenshot of the Windows Defender history for the file if you need them.

Thanks,
Brett
Posted 08 Aug, 2018 01:09:20 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Brett,

We've reset the activation counter for your key.

It looks like Add-in Express was installed using a different user account. Use that account to find Add-in Express in Control Panel | Programs ad Features and uninstall it. After Add-in Express is uninstalled, run the installer of version 9.1 (not 9.0!).

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 08 Aug, 2018 01:42:29 Top
Brett Lim

Hi Andrei,

I'm the only user in Windows and I'm sure that I've installed Add-in Express on my Windows account.
Since I cannot find it, is it not safe to just install it? or do you have any documentation for a manual uninstall?

Thanks,
Brett
Posted 08 Aug, 2018 02:12:04 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Brett,

Deleting a file from an installation shouldn't remove the product from Control Panel | Programs and Features as the latter is created using registry information.

We don't have an instruction on manual uninstall. Try to install it and let me know about the result. Also, you can try to restore the file deleted by Windows Defender.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 08 Aug, 2018 03:17:31 Top
Brett Lim

Hi Andrei,

I've manually deleted all files in Program Files (the Add-in Express folder) and tried installing the latest version, 9.1.4620 (Previously 9.0.4610).

The installation was successful and showed up in Programs and Files with version of 9.1, however, the add-in in Visual Studio was still registered as the old version (9.0), perhaps not overwriting any registry info?

So I've uninstalled the add-in and re-installed it, shows up in Programs and Files, but this time didn't get registered in Visual Studio just like what I've experienced few months ago when I posted a ticket in this forum.
Nevertheless, this issue can be solved by going to Visual Studio Installer and going through the Modify process fixes the issue.

Thanks,
Brett
Posted 08 Aug, 2018 18:32:16 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Brett,

Brett Lim writes:
however, the add-in in Visual Studio was still registered as the old version (9.0)

Make sure your add-in project uses AddinExpress.MSO.2005.DLL from the Add-in Express installation folder, not a local copy. Also, I suggest that you re-register your project; this should raise a message suggesting replacing loader files; confirm the replace.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 09 Aug, 2018 04:30:24 Top