Add-in Inactive on Windows 7 but not elsewhare

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Add-in Inactive on Windows 7 but not elsewhare
Addin works fine elsewhare 
Mike VE

I have an add-in that has been in production, and development, for some years. Recently a client reported that the add-in did not appear in Outlook despite having been loaded properly. His users are on Windows 7 Enterprise and Office 2013.

I used to test on a number of Windows/Office combinations but have got a bit lax in the last year and only test on Windows 10 and Outlook 2016 - my non-dev machine - where it works perfectly. I now tested it on a Virtual Machine with Windows 7 and Outlook 2010 and got the same result as my client. Outlook installs but is listed by Outlook as inactive. The COM=Addins window gives the message "Not loaded. A run-time error occurred during the loading of the addin". The registry has the addin entered with ADXStartMode as FirstStart and LoadBehaviour as 2. Setting this to 3 and restarting has no effect. The Documents\Add-in Express folder is not created and there are no logs.

The addin is written in vb in VS2016 with ADX 8.9.5543 targetting Office 2007. I work in NET 4.5.1 for debugging and deploy in NET 3.5. The addin uses a couple of ADX form regions as well as commandbars and ribbonbars. There are DLLs written in C#. No code has been added to the ADX startup code.

Could you give me any pointers. What kind of run-time error could occur in my Windows 7 setup but not windows 10?
Posted 20 Apr, 2018 04:35:02 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Mike,

Please reinstall your add-in, start Outlook, get copies of the files below and send them to the support email address:

- %temp%\{AssemblyProduct attribute; see AssemblyInfo}\adxregistrator.log in the profile of the user who runs the installer
- %temp%\{AssemblyProduct attribute; see AssemblyInfo}\adxloader.log in the profile of the user who starts Outlook

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 20 Apr, 2018 06:28:13 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Thank you, Mike.

The adxloader.log you've sent me contains this line:

An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format.

It looks like your add-in is 32 bit while Outlook (Office) is 64 bit. The recommended way is to deploy an Any CPU add-in. If this isn't possible (typically because of bitness-specific components used), you need to deploy a 64bit version of your add-in on that machine; you may also want to check https://www.add-in-express.com/creating-addins-blog/2015/02/25/creating-bit-specific-office-addin/.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 20 Apr, 2018 07:08:11 Top
Mike VE

Brilliant. The Compile method for the solution was set to Mixed Platform. Setting it back to AnyCPU made everything work.

I have no recollection of changing this setting to MixedPlatform but something happened recently that might explain it. I had my hard disk replaced and as a consequence had to re-install everything. After installing Visual Studio I downloaded my solutions from Git in Visual Studio on line. It all went very smoothly but then I got some problems. It took me a while to spot it but the Office interops had changed from 2007, which I normally work with, to 2016. Presumably either Visual Studio or Add-in Express had just grabbed the ones relevant to the currently installed version of office. Perhaps the change to MixedSettings happened automatically at the same time.

Thanks for your help.
Posted 20 Apr, 2018 09:13:24 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

You are welcome!

Andrei Smolin
Posted 20 Apr, 2018 09:56:18 Top