Mixing Office Add-in with COM Add-in

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Mixing Office Add-in with COM Add-in
Two add-ins, two technologies sharing the same ribbon tab 
Tim Farrelly

Hi,

We have a Word COM add-in developed with Add-in Express. It provides automated document assembly functions and many, many more. We wish to start exposing some functions to Word Online and have been investigating Office Add-ins.

Question 1
Does Add-in Express have a product to assist in the development of Office Add-ins?

Question 2
Can my existing COM add-in and my new office add-in both create commands on the same custom ribbon tab?

Thanks
Tim
Posted 07 Mar, 2018 00:40:37 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Tim,

Online versions of Office applications don't support COM add-ins. Add-in Express can't help you customize any of them.

Regards from Belarus (GMT+3),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 07 Mar, 2018 03:04:26 Top
Tim Farrelly

Hi Andrei,

Sorry I should have been clearer.

We desire the office add-in to operate in online and desktop Word.
and
We desire the COM add-in to operate in online Word.

We wish to move one of several buttons from the COM add-in to the office add-in and rewrite the functionality to allow the office add-in to do what the COM add-in used to do. Then by both add-ins sharing the same ribbon tab everything still looks the same to the user in desktop whilst online can now do that one function.

So my questions again
Does Add-in Express have a product to assist in the development of Office Add-ins?
Can my existing COM add-in and my new office add-in both create commands on the same custom ribbon tab in desktop Word?

Thanks
Tim
Posted 07 Mar, 2018 05:29:01 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Tim,

This is impossible to load a COM add-in in online Word. Add-in Express doesn't provide a tool allowing you to create an Office add-in.

Tim Farrelly writes:
Can my existing COM add-in and my new office add-in both create commands on the same custom ribbon tab in desktop Word?

As far as I know (you will need to verify this), the Ribbon controls can only be associated with an Office add-in, the add-in doesn't create them directly. I may be wrong, however.

Regards from Belarus (GMT+3),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 07 Mar, 2018 06:34:15 Top