ADX panel blank in Outlook but opened in separated windows

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Only registered users are allowed to subscribe.
ADX panel blank in Outlook but opened in separated windows

Fabrice Durieu

Hi,

I currently have a really strange problem that happens in Outlook. It currently only happens on my dev laptop, not (yet?) on customers. But as I'm on the monthly channel in Office maybe it'll be a general problem in the future.
The problem happen suddenly: I didn't change ADX version, nor the code that manage ADX pane.

My Outlook version: 1802 (9029.2054 Click-To-Run) Outlook 2016 32bit
My ADX version: 8.0.4330.2005 (I know it's not the latest, but I'm used to not upgrade until necessary. Tell me if the problems comes from that)

My problem:
I've 2 panes : one docked right, and one docked in the preview (which by default only appear as left/righ arrow above the outlook preview).
When I start Outlook, both panel are blank in Outlook. When I hover the Outlook icon in the taskbar I see that panels are in fact opened in separate windows. But I can't select these windows, if I try it's Outlook that get selected.

User added an image
User added an image

What I've try until now:
- Restart outlook
- Restart Windows
- Delete & recreate outlook profile
- Cleanup registry : delete all(?) ADXPane position stored in registry
- Next: I'll try to revert to an old branch to see if I still have the problem, this will definitely exculpate the code.

Do you have any idea ?

Thank you
-------------
Posted 23 Feb, 2018 09:36:15 Top
Fabrice Durieu

I've reverted to a branch I've closed end of October, and still have the same problem. This means it's not code-related, but indeed Outlook-related.
This happen for all adx pane, I also have a right docked panel in the new mail inspector, and this also happen for this one.

User added an image
-------------
Posted 24 Feb, 2018 04:10:37 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Fabrice,

You've run in an issue that is described in Add-in Express for Office issues on multiple monitors with different DPI settings. If you need to install those updates, install 8.7.4430 and let me know: I'll send you download links by email.

Regards from Belarus (GMT+3),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 26 Feb, 2018 04:15:27 Top
Fabrice Durieu

Thank you for your answer

Please let me note a few differences between your linked blog post and my problem:
- The problem happen when I've only one screen (the built-in laptop screen). But I had a 2nd screen connected before (with different dpi). I still have to check if it happen right after the reboot of only start after connecting my 2nd screen (and continue even if I don't have the screen connected anymore)..
- The panel are not shown on the other screen, but on the same screen in the background
- The problem happen in Outlook (your post only list other Office app, but not Outlook). I didn't notice it in Word (where we also have a right panel, but not always), and I don't have panels in other app.

Do you still think it's the same problem ?

Thank you for your help
Fabrice
-------------
Posted 26 Feb, 2018 04:26:15 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Fabrice,

The main symptom is the same: the ADXOlForm is created on the desktop. I suggest that you check if the new assemblies work for you.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 26 Feb, 2018 05:08:46 Top
Fabrice Durieu

Ok I'll try asap

Question : Can I have 2 versions of ADX side-by-side ?
Because in the past I had the problem of the Designer that crash when opening a branch targetting "old" ADX version.
Example:
- I install ADX 8.7, then I create a separate branch for testing ADX 8.7
- Then I open the ADX designer in my stable branch that target ADX 8.0 => crash
I suppose that the designer doesn't found it's dll as I've installed ADX 8.7? which uninstall ADX 8.0 ?
I had this in the past, but maybe I manually uninstalled old ADX version ?
-------------
Posted 26 Feb, 2018 09:17:26 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Fabrice Durieu writes:
Question : Can I have 2 versions of ADX side-by-side ?

You cannot. You should uninstall the previous Add-in Express version first. After you install the new version, you should make sure your add-in project references the new version.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 26 Feb, 2018 10:55:53 Top
Fabrice Durieu

This is something you should try to improve... because it's always difficult to upgrade if you know you may have to go back to previous branch using older ADX version.
And in my current case it means I've to prepare a VM only to make the test.
-------------
Posted 27 Feb, 2018 06:48:09 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Fabrice,

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately, this is by design; we won't be able to modify anything in this area.

Feel free to ask me if you have any questions or need more information.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 27 Feb, 2018 09:56:00 Top
darrendev

As above. We're getting customers with the same issue. Am I right in assuming this is not fixed in the April 3rd release? If not, can you send me a link to the dlls as well.

Thanks
Posted 06 Apr, 2018 10:52:28 Top