Can't get Wizard to work with VS 2015 Update 3 and InstallShield 2016 SP2

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Can't get Wizard to work with VS 2015 Update 3 and InstallShield 2016 SP2
The docs explain usage with VS Installer which I believe was deprecated and I need instructions for InstallShield Pro 
Prinz

Hi there,

I'm using your XLToys-CS project and I found the setup wizard works fine with the Visual Studio Installer in VS 2015 with Update 3. However when I tried using InstallShield 2016 Pro with Service Pack 2 it doesn't formulate the content correctly. It throws an InstallShield -6109 error when .NET scanning the Primary Output. I can get rid of this if I set the scanning to "None". Leading on the ADXRegistrator.exe and the interops are not brought into the project.

I eventually got the setup project to build but because of the missing files the add-in doesn't get registered.

Was the product actually verified for use with InstallShield 2016 Pro with Service Pack 2. I didn't find any instructions in your documents for using InstallShield which is a bit disappointing given that it is one of the radio buttons to select in the setup wizard.

Any help on this would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Aidan.
Posted 19 Jun, 2017 14:50:39 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Aidan,

I confirm the issue: a setup project created using InstallShiled 2016 SP2 doesn't deploy prerequisites as well as these files:
- adxregistrator.exe; from {Add-in Express installation folder}\Redistributables,
- interops; from the Interops folder of your add-in project;
- AddinExpress.MSO.2005.dll; from {Add-in Express installation folder}\Bin.

I've added these files and specified prerequisites. Now the add-in does register for me. I also had to set the .NET Scan at Build property to None for every component.

Please confirm that performing the above steps works for you.

FYI, the issue is filed in our bug-tracking database under #10871. When this issue is fixed, you'll see this number in whatsnew.txt. I believe this will occur in the next build of Add-in Express.

Prinz writes:
From what I can make out the documentation is outdated as it points at the Visual Studio Installer that I believe was deprecated when Microsoft stopped using the Lite-Edition of InstallShield.

Visual Studio Installer is built in Visual Studio 2010. It can also be installed to VS 2013, 2015, and 2017. It cannot be used with VS 2012 only.

You can use the Add-in Express documentation to check that your InstallShield project is correct on the condition that you "translate" the instruction to the "language" of InstallShield.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 20 Jun, 2017 07:25:42 Top
Prinz

Hi there,

Many thanks for coming back to me on this.
I modified my query this morning having read the details about the Visual Studio Installer extension.
As indicated I managed to use it successfully to create that style of setup.
I will try copying in the files manually as you indicated and I'll take a look at the bug report.

Cheers,

Aidan.
Posted 20 Jun, 2017 07:37:12 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

You are welcome!

Andrei Smolin
Posted 20 Jun, 2017 07:59:27 Top
Prinz

Hi there,

I can confirm that the registration worked OK when I copied the other files into the "All Other Files" component.
Just wondering, what's the schedule for the next build of Add-in Express.
Thanks,

Aidan.
Posted 20 Jun, 2017 09:08:38 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Aidan,

Thanks for confirming!

We are going to release the new build of Add-in Express for Office and .NET in 2-4 weeks. I'll send you a note when the build is published.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 21 Jun, 2017 04:37:42 Top
Prinz

Hi there,

Thanks great to hear.
I look forward to using the setup wizard successfully with InstallShield.
Cheers,

Aidan.
Posted 21 Jun, 2017 04:49:00 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hello Aidan,

We have just published a new Add-in Express build, it contains a fix for the issue you reported:
https://www.add-in-express.com/downloads/adxnet.php
Posted 11 Aug, 2017 06:27:21 Top