Outlook new mail system tray notification not showing

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Outlook new mail system tray notification not showing

tadams

Hi there,

A client of ours has raised an issue that the notification popup that appears in the bottom right of the screen when an email is received isn't showing when our add-in is running, once they disable our add-in the notifications start working again.

We do have a system tray icon as part of our add-in however disabling this didn't seem to resolve the problem. We have some hooks in the newMailEx event that processes new emails, so I was wondering whether you have come across this issue before or whether you have any suggestions of what might be causing it?

Many thanks,
Tom
Posted 10 May, 2017 03:40:56 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Tom,

I would suggest that you check that the issue isn't reproducible on a new empty add-in project. If it is, we will need to check the code of Add-in Express. If it isn't, I suggest that you start with checking if you release all the COM object that your code creates; you may need to check section Releasing COM objects at https://www.add-in-express.com/docs/net-office-tips.php#releasing.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 10 May, 2017 04:00:26 Top
tadams

Thanks Andrei for getting back so quickly! I think we are releasing all COM object since this is something we've been very careful with when building the add-in, I will try what you suggest though with the blank project.

If we are processing the email that the user has just received could this have an effect on the notification appearing? Do you know what the notification triggers off?

Kind regards,
Tom
Posted 10 May, 2017 04:05:09 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

No, I don't know. We have a commercial add-in that uses the approach we described at https://www.add-in-express.com/creating-addins-blog/2011/11/10/outlook-newmail-custom-solution/; it doesn't produce this issue. Also, we've never received such reports.

You can also comment blocks of your code to locate the issue.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 10 May, 2017 04:16:16 Top