COM Add-in designer - Could not find type 'AddinExpress.MSO.ADXAddinModule'

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

COM Add-in designer - Could not find type 'AddinExpress.MSO.ADXAddinModule'
Cannot use designer for add-ins module 
Pierre Alain Carrier

Hello,

I just moved to VS 2017 and installed ADX 8.6.4408.0. I had trouble with the designer in my current project, so I created a new blank COM add-in project. When I try to open the AddinModule designer, I get the Design time error list interface with this error message: "Could not find type 'AddinExpress.MSO.ADXAddinModule'. Please make sure that the assembly that contains this type is referenced. If this type is a part of your development project, make sure that the project has been successfully built using settings for your current platform or Any CPU. "

This is the stack trace:

at System.ComponentModel.Design.Serialization.CodeDomSerializerBase.Error(IDesignerSerializationManager manager, String exceptionText, String helpLink)
at System.ComponentModel.Design.Serialization.TypeCodeDomSerializer.Deserialize(IDesignerSerializationManager manager, CodeTypeDeclaration declaration)
at System.ComponentModel.Design.Serialization.CodeDomDesignerLoader.PerformLoad(IDesignerSerializationManager manager)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.Serialization.CodeDom.VSCodeDomDesignerLoader.PerformLoad(IDesignerSerializationManager serializationManager)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.Serialization.CodeDom.VSCodeDomDesignerLoader.DeferredLoadHandler.Microsoft.VisualStudio.TextManager.Interop.IVsTextBufferDataEvents.OnLoadCompleted(Int32 fReload)

This is a brand new project with no modification of any kind. AddinExpress.MSO.2005 is in the list of References and the properties window shows version 8.6.4408.0. The projet compiles with no error.

How do I fix this?
Posted 12 Apr, 2017 14:51:28 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hi Pierre,

Close the designer window, rebuild your project for the Any CPU platform, and open the designer window anew. Does this help?

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 13 Apr, 2017 05:35:08 Top
Pierre Alain Carrier

Hello Andrei,

Thank you for your reply.

The project is already set for Any CPU. I tried x86 and x64 as well, closing the designer window, rebuilding; no difference.

If I remove the AddinExpress.MSO.2005 reference, then I get a different error message: "The designer could not be shown for this file because none of the classes within it can be designed. The designer inspected the following classes in the file: AddinModule --- The base class 'System.Void' cannot be designed."

I've also done the latest update for VS 2017 and reinstalled ADX.
Posted 13 Apr, 2017 08:18:33 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Pierre,

In the Visual Studio IDE, please choose Help | About in the main menu, and click Copy Info on the About dialog. This puts the info the dialog displays to the clipboard, please send me that info. You can find the support email address in {Add-in Express installation folder}\readme.txt. Please make sure your email contains a link to this topic.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 13 Apr, 2017 08:40:03 Top
Pierre Alain Carrier

Just sent it. Thank you.

By the way, I also did a repair of VS 2017 with not success.
Posted 13 Apr, 2017 10:08:54 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Thank you. I can't reproduce the issue. Does the AddinExpress.MSO.2005.dll reference point to the Add-in Express installation folder? Are all other references okay? What .NET Framework version and programming language do you choose when creating your project?

Andrei Smolin
Posted 13 Apr, 2017 11:02:48 Top
Pierre Alain Carrier

The AddinExpress.MSO.2005.dll points to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Add-in Express\Add-in Express for .NET\Bin\AddinExpress.MSO.2005.dll"

I don't see any indication that the other reference might have any problems. The project compile with no errors and no warning (warning level 4). Tried both Debug and Release configuration.

The project was created for .Net 4.5.2. I did try other (2.0 and 4.0) with the same result. I'm using C#.
Posted 13 Apr, 2017 11:28:50 Top
Pierre Alain Carrier

Fixed it.

I search my entire system for copies of AddinExpress.MSI.2005.dll and found an old one used by Red Gate profiler. Delete it and now everything works.
Posted 13 Apr, 2017 12:13:54 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Thank you for letting us know!

Andrei Smolin
Posted 14 Apr, 2017 04:37:14 Top