Outlook Add In not debugging or updating

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Outlook Add In not debugging or updating

Mark De Lorenzo

Odd behavior when developing & debugging my Outlook Add-In.

In the past I was able to have Visual Studio in [DEBUG] build, and when I [RUN] my code, it would launch Outlook with my current build loaded ready to test. It starts Outlook when I press F5, but the add in is not loaded.

Since I cannot get this debugging process to work, I've resorted to compiling it and creating a setup. I remove it and install it for each test run. So much time wasted. Then I ran into issues with recompiling and reinstalling.

I get to a point in my code where I'm ready to test it. I [Build] my solution. Including the Setup project. Say currently I'm calling it v2.1.3.

I install the MSI.
Open Outlook.
All is great, I see it.
I completely remove it via uninstall & Outlook / settings / addins / remove it here too

I make more changes to my code, recompile.
I install the new MSI.
Open Outlook.
I see it installed, but it does not reflect the new changes.

My workaround for this is: If I give it a new version (say v2.1.4), then it will actually update when installed.

Any ideas on the debugging launch, or this msi installer issue?
Posted 16 Mar, 2017 07:53:26 Top
Mark De Lorenzo

Oh, my versions:
Windows 7
Outlook 2013
Visual Studio 2015
Add-In Express 8.6.4408

Just tried in VS2017 same behavior. Tried creating a brand new project/addin for Outlook. Selected Outlook only. Added a RibbonTab, Added a group, added a button. Indicated which Ribbons to be visibile (Mostly Outlook Explorer). Hit F5 while still set for DEBUG. Outlook launched, no new Tab shown.
Posted 16 Mar, 2017 07:54:43 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Marco,

Mark De Lorenzo writes:
In the past I was able to have Visual Studio in [DEBUG] build, and when I [RUN] my code, it would launch Outlook with my current build loaded ready to test. It starts Outlook when I press F5, but the add in is not loaded.

Before you start debugging the add-in, uninstall it, and the register the add-in project from the IDE as described in section Step 15. Running the COM Add-in at https://www.add-in-express.com/docs/net-first-com-addin.php.

Mark De Lorenzo writes:
I see it installed, but it does not reflect the new changes.

Before you install a new add-in version, make sure the previous version is actually uninstalled: start Outlook and check File | Options | Add-ins.

Mark De Lorenzo writes:
Just tried in VS2017 same behavior. Tried creating a brand new project/addin for Outlook. Selected Outlook only. Added a RibbonTab, Added a group, added a button. Indicated which Ribbons to be visibile (Mostly Outlook Explorer). Hit F5 while still set for DEBUG. Outlook launched, no new Tab shown.

Do you miss registering the add-in from the IDE?

Regards from Belarus (GMT+3),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 16 Mar, 2017 09:17:34 Top