.msi created in Wix setup project does not fully install

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

.msi created in Wix setup project does not fully install

Lance Friedemann

I have created a setup project for an Outlook Add-in using Wix and I'm attempting to install it using /quiet on the client computer so I can deploy these through a Group Policy object.

The client computer installs the Outlook Addin, but it does not appear to register until after a reboot of the client computer. The program also does not show up in the start menu folder as it does when running a setup.exe file.

Is there a method to make the program and subsequent updates deploy and register without reboot?
Posted 07 Mar, 2017 17:30:08 Top
nwein

Is your host (i.e. Outlook) running during the installation process?
I'm asking because normally the add-in cannot be registered while the process is running. The installation process will finish once the host is closed.
Posted 08 Mar, 2017 10:27:24 Top
Lance Friedemann

On a GPO install the user is typically going to have Outlook running. However, we have tried deploying with both Outlook running and not running. Both ways require a reboot.
Posted 08 Mar, 2017 10:33:58 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Lance,

In the Add-in Express manual, in section Deployment Step-by-steps, we describe deploying a per-user Add-in Express add-in via Group Policy. In this description, the installation is run when the user logs in on the domain. In this case Outlook isn't run, and you get no problem you describe here.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 13 Mar, 2017 07:28:24 Top