Add-in marked as Active but not loaded

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Add-in marked as Active but not loaded
 
Fabrice Durieu




Posts: 100
Joined: 2010-12-13
Hello

I've a strange case that happen on a specific customer laptop, and I would like to know if you have an idea of what happen. This case happen randomly around 1x/week:

The add-in is shown as active in Outlook and adxloader.log show that it's loaded without error.
The event viewer show that outlook loaded the add-in (Oulook create an entry with all loaded add-in). The load time is about 100-130ms, which is lower than usual (5-600ms)

BUT ... the add-in is not really loaded. Logs written in the AddinModule_AddinInitialize is not in the log file. It seems it doesn't execute the AddinModule code.

Windows Event logs doesn't show any error

I can restart (Outlook/Windows), un/register the add-in, etc. no way it doesn't get loaded.

I checked anti-virus (Kaspersky) logs and it doesn't block/quarantine anything about our add-in

The only way to bring back the add-in is to execute the installer again, and make a "repair"

I don't think the problem comes from ADX, but if you have any idea it's welcome :)
-------------
Posted 13 Feb, 2017 07:51:53 Top
Andrei Smolin


Add-in Express team


Posts: 14115
Joined: 2006-05-11
Hello Fabrice,

Fabrice Durieu writes:
The add-in is shown as active in Outlook


That is, 1) it is listed under the Active Application Add-ins heading in File | Options | Add-ins. In addition, 2) your add-in is checked in the COM Add-ins dialog, and 3) selecting it in this dialog shows this line: "Load Behavior: Load at Startup". Are all of these statements true?

Fabrice Durieu writes:
and adxloader.log show that it's loaded without error.


That is, 1) the log file gets updated whenever you start Outlook, 2) the last line reads "The instance of the managed add-in class has been created successfully", and 3) the log describes loading of *your* add-in. To avoid mistakes, I suggest that you turn off all other COM add-ins.

Is your add-in per-user or per-machine? Have you ever switched from per-user to per-machine or back?

Regards from Belarus (GMT+3),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 13 Feb, 2017 10:19:42 Top
Fabrice Durieu




Posts: 100
Joined: 2010-12-13
Active : 1), 2) and 3) is true
I even checked the registry load behavior and it was on '3'
I also cleanup the registry manually (I've a .reg I use for this for this kind of extreme case), then checked in was not in Outlook anymore, then register, and it was back in Active add-in.

adxloader.log: 1), 2) and 3) is true
I didn't try to disable all other add-in, I'll try when the problem will happen again

My add-in is installed per user, we didn't change this since a few years

Thank you
Fabrice
-------------
Posted 13 Feb, 2017 10:48:53 Top
Andrei Smolin


Add-in Express team


Posts: 14115
Joined: 2006-05-11
Fabrice Durieu writes:
My add-in is installed per user, we didn't change this since a few years


If the user has {HKLM}\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\{your add-in}, try to rename it.

Also, check section Get Informed about Errors in Ribbon markup, see the PDF file in the folder {Add-in Express}\Docs on your development PC. Make sure the customer has this option enabled. Additionally, add a debug message to the end of the OnRibbon* events of the add-in module.

Regards from Belarus (GMT+3),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 14 Feb, 2017 04:41:05 Top