Activation context generation failed

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Activation context generation failed
Event Log error - Activation context generation failed for adxloader.dll.Manifest 
Mukesh Kumar

Hi Team,

We have observed one issue with our Outlook Add-in application as our add-in is placed in Inactive Application Add-in and due to that we can't see our application in Outlook. This is something very critical for our application in current stage as user can't see/use our application at all.

While investigating this issue we observed that in EventViewer we have log entry as:

Activation context generation failed for "C:\PROGRA~2\DIDUCE~1\adxloader.dll.Manifest".Error in manifest or policy file "C:\PROGRA~2\DIDUCE~1\adxloader.dll.Manifest" on line 2. The manifest file root element must be assembly.

So when we just renamed/deleted this file, then we started Outlook again and our application is launching in Outlook without any problem. I am seeing we have same ticket already generated for this a long back as : https://www.add-in-express.com/forum/read.php?FID=5&TID=9084&MID=46345, last post was Add-in-express Team will investigate and try to fix this as "However we will investigate this issie and try to work out a fix.", so can you please let us know what is the current status on this.

So please look into this urgently and let us know how we can avoid such situation in our application.

Thanks,
Mukesh Kumar
Posted 18 Oct, 2016 03:50:36 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Mukesh,

You can ignore this error record as there's no real error behind it. You can also avoid getting this error message by adding an XLL module to your add-in project and then removing it. The procedure renames adxloader.dll and adxloader64.dll (see the Loader folder of your add-in project) and this means 1) you need to have these files writable before manipulating with an XLL module and 2) you need to deploy the renamed files.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 18 Oct, 2016 06:42:37 Top
Mukesh Kumar

Hi Andrei Smolin,

As we investigated and we found that this error "Activation context generation failed for adxloader.dll.Manifest" is causing our Outlook Add-in placed in Inactive Application Add-in list, so we can't ignore this error as this is causing not loading our application in Outlook.

Thanks,
Mukesh Kumar
Posted 18 Oct, 2016 12:01:06 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Mukesh Kumar writes:
we found that this error "Activation context generation failed for adxloader.dll.Manifest" is causing our Outlook Add-in placed in Inactive Application Add-in list

May I have a prove, please?

Andrei Smolin
Posted 19 Oct, 2016 01:43:01 Top
Mukesh Kumar

Hi Andrei Smolin,

The reason why I am pointing this as Activation generation failed cause Add-in in disabled list because:

1. We found only this exception related with Outlook in EventViewer which pointed adxloader.dll.Manifest file.
2. When we renamed/deleted this adxloader.dll.Manifest file then everything is working means we can see our Add-in in Outlook as in working state.

Thanks,
Mukesh Kumar
Posted 26 Oct, 2016 12:04:14 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Mukesh,

These cannot be accepted as a prove. Deleting/renaming adxloader.dll.manifest leaves the loader without instructions on what assembly to load. That is, this effectively prevents your add-in from loading.

Renaming the loader files in a special way (you can add an XLL module to your project, delete the XLL module just added, and check the loader files) stops creating that record. It isn't an indication of any *real* error.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 27 Oct, 2016 06:08:33 Top
Mukesh Kumar

Hi Andrei Smolin,

I was trying to add XLL module in our project, but I am facing two problems:

1. In my Visual studio I am not able to find Add-in-express template (Other Project Types -> Extensibility -> ADX stuff).
2. Currently our Project is created as Custom Project not as Add-in-express project, but that's true we are using Add-in-express libraries, so how can we add XLL module and suppose if we achieve to add XLL module to our project then how it will integrated with our Custom Project.

Thanks,
Mukesh Kumar
Posted 03 Nov, 2016 11:13:01 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Mukesh,

Reinstall Add-in Express. Make sure the Visual Studio version that you use is selected in the corresponding window of the project wizard.

If this doesn't help, open the About dialog in the IDE; see Help | About on the main menu of your Visual Studio. Click the Copy Info button in the dialog box. This places the information that the dialog displays to the Clipboard. Please send me that info to the support email address; find it in readme.txt.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 04 Nov, 2016 05:32:28 Top
Mukesh Kumar

Hi Andrei Smolin,

Thanks for your reply, I have re-installed Add-in-express and now I am able to see ADX stuff in Visual studio.

Now can you please give your reply on my second question:

2. Currently our Project is created as Custom Project not as Add-in-express project, but that's true we are using Add-in-express libraries, so how can we add XLL module and suppose if we achieve to add XLL module to our project then how it will integrated with our Custom Project.

And I am seeing we have following XLL module in Add-in-express as below and seems like both are related with Excel Add-in, do you think this will workable with Outlook Add-in and which one I have to add and then remove:

1. XLL Add-in Module
2. XLL Add-in Additional Module

Thanks,
Mukesh Kumar
Posted 04 Nov, 2016 12:44:58 Top
Mukesh Kumar

Hi Andrei Smolin,

Can you please reply on my above queries.

Thanks,
Mukesh Kumar
Posted 07 Nov, 2016 23:47:18 Top