How to detect if a read mail item/ meeting item is digitally signed

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

How to detect if a read mail item/ meeting item is digitally signed

Horatiu Muresan

Hello,

Is there a way to programatically detect if a received mail item/ meeting item is digitally signed?
Checking the 'MessageClass' property returns 'IMP.Note' even for signed mail items - as I saw this is because OOM hides the full IPM.NOTE.[SMIME].[SIGNED] class name of signed mail items as I read on some other forum.

What I try to accomplish is to parse the mail item rtf/html body before read in the reading pane and inject some hyperlinks on detected possible phone no's in the body. This works great for non-signed mail items, for signed mail items when I call the .Save() method on the parsed mail item it shows a popup saying that saving that item will remove the digital signature. If pressing yes it indeed removes it.

Is this thing (parsing for phone no's and saving) accomplishable for digitally signed items as well? Or the digital signing is done also on the email body content so saving it with a different content will 'break' the digital signature? If not accomplishable, I want to detect when an item is signed so I can ignore processing it- which bring us back to my initial question.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Regards from Romania,
Horatiu Muresan
Posted 11 Oct, 2016 09:46:21 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Horatiu,

Check the PR_SECURITY_FLAGS MAPI property; see e.g. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2636465.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 12 Oct, 2016 03:27:57 Top
Horatiu Muresan

Thank you Andrei! Just what I needed.

Regards from Romania (GMT+2),
Horatiu Muresan
Posted 12 Oct, 2016 05:18:26 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

You are welcome!

Andrei Smolin