Plugin No Longer Registering?

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Plugin No Longer Registering?

Neil Shepherd

Hi Guys,

We have an Outlook plugin that we've been developing for a couple of years now and it's stopped working since we created a new (separate) plugin in a totally different project/solution.

What we have is a plugin and a Visual Studio installer package and that installs fine then into Outlook, whenever we have an update, we've always simply replaced the installed DLL. This has worked absolutely fine up until this morning when I rebuilt the plugin.

On my development machine the plugin appears fine in Outlook (when run either through Visual Studio or standalone) but whenever the DLL is placed onto a different machine, the plugin just doesn't appear at all...but replace it with the older version DLL and it pops up fine. Annoyingly if I rebuild the code for the older version it still doesn't want to work - basically anything that's built new for this plugin (regardless of the age of the source code) just doesn't want to work.

I've checked the Registry to see if it's been disabled (it hasn't), Outlooks Add-Ins to see if it's been disabled it hasn't and, according to Outlook, is working fine) and added some debugging to the AddinInitialize event to see if it's getting to that point and...nothing.

Any ideas?

Neil
Posted 15 Sep, 2016 05:44:11 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Neil,

Make sure you have all other COM add-ins turned off. Does starting Outlook creates/updates adxloader.log. If yes, please send it to the support email address. You can find it in {Add-in Express installation folder}\readme.txt. Please make sure your email contains a link to this topic.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 15 Sep, 2016 06:40:38 Top
Neil Shepherd

Hi Andrei,

Thanks for the speedy response but I managed to solve the problem.

It turns out that we'd updated the ADX components recently and that had (somehow) changed how the plugin was registered with Outlook which is why rebuilding an older version of the code didn't make any difference and why I wasn't hitting the problem on my development machine (as I'd registered the plugin directly from Visual Studio).

I'm not sure what's changed between v8.1 and v8.2 but a DLL built with one version can't replace a DLL built with the other (although, strangely, we didn't hit this problem when we upgraded from v7.5 to v8.1). This affected both of our plugin projects so I'm 99% certain that it wasn't an issue with the code itself.

Thanks

Neil
Posted 15 Sep, 2016 08:24:10 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Thank you for letting me know!

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 15 Sep, 2016 08:58:47 Top