Upgrade my Excel Add-in when User open the Excel

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Upgrade my Excel Add-in when User open the Excel

roy cao

we have created a COM Excel Add in base on Add-in Express, some of our customers don't have privilege to install the Excel Addin. it's inconvenient for them to upgrade the excel add-in by installer frequently. I'm wondering if we can do some partial update(for example, replacing some files,dlls) for upgrade, any suggestions? thanks in advance.
Posted 30 May, 2016 21:39:42 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Roy,

Although replacing some files is possible in theory, replacing them in practice produces many, many problems: the files may be locked, you must replace assemblies in a coordinated fashion, etc. This is why we suggest updating the add-in using an installer.

roy cao writes:
some of our customers don't have privilege to install the Excel Addin

The add-in should be per-user, this lets a standard user install it.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 31 May, 2016 03:31:53 Top
roy cao

Thanks Andrei.

Now our Add-in is Per-machine. we're adding new features(formula,ribbion) to the existing add-in continually.

As you said, to allowed standard user to upgrade it. we have use per-user installation. we're thinking wrap new features in dlls like a plugin in a installer, and put this dlls in per-user folder. then load this dlls dynamically by add-in express component. what do you think?
Posted 17 Jun, 2016 19:45:16 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Roy,

I would suggest that you uninstall the per-machine add-in and install the per-user one. I suggest that you deploy the add-in using Group Policy; in this scenario you deliver a per-user installer to an administrator who uses system tools to deliver it to end users. Find more details in sections "Deploying an Office extension via ClickTwice" and "Updating an Office extension via ClickTwice", see the PDF file in the folder {Add-in Express}\Docs on your development PC.

If you are going to develop the modular architecture of your add-in, check section "How to Develop the Modular Architecture of your COM and XLL Add-in".

Andrei Smolin
Posted 20 Jun, 2016 06:20:59 Top
roy cao

Hi Andrei

I'm planning to use modular architecture to do a spike, i download the example from the below link
https://www.add-in-express.com/creating-addins-blog/2012/11/19/create-modular-addin-office/, it works well,

do you have some excel add-in examples? :) very appreciated that you can give me some Excel add-in example
Posted 22 Jun, 2016 08:40:35 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Roy,

What sort of example are you loking for?

Andrei Smolin
Posted 22 Jun, 2016 09:52:29 Top
roy cao

Hi Andrei,

Actually, just like the https://www.add-in-express.com/creating-addins-blog/2012/11/19/create-modular-addin-office/, I need two example on Excel Add-in,

1.dynamically add/update ribbon to one existing Excel Add-in.
2.dynamically add formula to one existing Excel Add-in.

Thanks
Posted 22 Jun, 2016 16:35:58 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hi Roy,

I have just created a sample for you, you can download it using https://www.add-in-express.com/projects/forum/excel-com-addin-with-xll-modules.zip link.

Please test it on your side and let me know about the results.
Posted 23 Jun, 2016 09:45:32 Top
roy cao

Thanks Dmitry. Great example!

I would like to split ADXAddinAdditionalModules and ADXXLLAdditionalModules to different Library(assembly), is it possible?

and can i dynamically add/remove the adxRibbonGroup and other controls in one adxRibbonTab ?

do you have example for both?
Posted 23 Jun, 2016 22:20:11 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Roy,

You can move an additional module to a class library. This requires that you fill the Module property of the corresponding main module as demonstrated in https://www.add-in-express.com/docs/net-tips.php#modular-architecture

roy cao writes:
and can i dynamically add/remove the adxRibbonGroup and other controls in one adxRibbonTab ?

You can't. Office retrieves the Ribbon XML only once and you won;t have no chance to add/remove a tab (group or control). Instead, you can only show/hide it.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 24 Jun, 2016 03:33:19 Top