VSTO Document properties equivalent in AddIn Express

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

VSTO Document properties equivalent in AddIn Express
Is there any equivalent to DocumentProperty and MetaProperty (in VSTO)? 
Madhur Tiwari

In Addin Express, Is there any equivalent to DocumentProperty and MetaProperty (in VSTO)?
Can we use both VSTO as well as AddIn Express( What is recommendation?
Posted 12 May, 2016 10:23:33 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hi Madhur,

In Addin Express, Is there any equivalent to DocumentProperty and MetaProperty (in VSTO)?

I think DocumentProperty is the same object in both platforms, you need to access the Excel.Workbook.CustomDocumentProperties or Word.DocumentCustomDocumentProperties collection, type cast it to Office.DocumentProperties and use its Item property to get a DocumentProperty object.

I am not sure about MetaProperty. What is your target host application?

Can we use both VSTO as well as AddIn Express( What is recommendation?

Sorry, I do not quite understand this question. VSTO and Add-in Express are different platforms, they do not intersect. You can have several VSTO and Add-in Express based add-ins installed on the same machine. Is it what you are asking for?
Posted 12 May, 2016 11:17:04 Top
Madhur Tiwari

OK thanks DMitry for clarifying.. Microsoft.Office.Core.DocumentProperty and Microsoft.Office.Core.MetaProperty are two interfaces in VSTO library.
Host Appliation can be any of Word/Excel/Powerpoint/Outlook EMail..so until runtime we don't know type of Host,We are publishing and accessing documents from sharepoint library and it can have any type of document.
So in that scenario VSTO is providing DocumentProperty and MetaProperty, So I was looking for corresponding properties in AddIn Express.

Sorry, I do not quite understand this question. VSTO and Add-in Express are different platforms, they do not intersect. You can have several VSTO and Add-in Express based add-ins installed on the same machine. Is it what you are asking for?
No, I am asking is it possible to use both VSTO and AddIn Express in a single AddIn? You have mentioned it is not possible so in that case how can we have access common properties for all types of docs.
Posted 12 May, 2016 12:33:47 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Madhur,

Madhur Tiwari writes:
Microsoft.Office.Core.DocumentProperty and Microsoft.Office.Core.MetaProperty are two interfaces in VSTO library.

These interfaces are provided by the Microsoft.Office.Core.dll for Office version 2013+. That DLL is an interop assembly; it isn't part of VSTO; you can use it in an Add-in Express project as well. If you created an Add-in Express project and you don't see these interfaces, then you use interops for another Office version.

Madhur Tiwari writes:
No, I am asking is it possible to use both VSTO and AddIn Express in a single AddIn?

No, you can't. As explained, VSTO and Add-in Express are different platforms, they generate different kinds of add-ins.

Regards from Belarus (GMT+3),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 13 May, 2016 04:18:19 Top