ShowCaption = false withot effect for built-in gallery in PowerPoint 2007 - 2016

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

ShowCaption = false withot effect for built-in gallery in PowerPoint 2007 - 2016
Trying to hide caption for built-in gallery 
Axel Napolitano

Hi,

i've added a gallery to my ribbon. The designer created the following code:

this.fillColorGallery.Caption = "Fill Color";
            this.fillColorGallery.Id = "adxRibbonGallery_83c301962ed1450fb62901d1712526fd";
            this.fillColorGallery.IdMso = "ShapeFillColorPicker";
            this.fillColorGallery.ImageTransparentColor = System.Drawing.Color.Transparent;
            this.fillColorGallery.Ribbons = AddinExpress.MSO.ADXRibbons.msrPowerPointPresentation;
            this.fillColorGallery.ShowCaption = false;

However, the caption is visible in runtime (in designer it is hidden). This is not limited to this specific gallery. Same happens for ShapeOutlineColorPicker, OutlineWeightGallery, OutlineDashesGallery so far - maybe for others too.

If i add a custom caption, this caption is shown - no matter if "ShowCaption" was set to true or false. If i do not specify a custom caption, the control's caption is shown - also without taking care about "ShowCaption".

OnRibbonBeforeLoad delievers the following markup for the gallery:

<gallery enabled="true" getVisible="getVisible_Callback" idMso="ShapeFillColorPicker" label=" " size="normal" />

You can see, that the getShowLabel-attribute does not exist and also the showLabel-attribute (as an alternative) was not set.

In a different project i use directly XML to define the ribbon. There is the following tag:

<control idMso="ShapeFillColorPicker" label="Fill color" showLabel="false" />

This works as expected. As you can see, i'm using the "control" tag and not the "gallery" tag. The "control" tag cannot be created using GUI riboon designer of ADX AFAIK.

I'm not sure if i'm doing something wrong or if it is a bug in ADX (what is what i think). I'm using latest downloadable production built of ADX. I'm using VisualStudio 2015 on Windows 10. The project's target dotnet framework version is set to 4.0.

As an workaround i'm now transforming the generated XML on OnRibbonBeforeLoad. As you may be able to imagine, i'm not satisfied with this workaround, but i do not see any other quick solution, because it is ugly and comes with drawbacks and traps.

Help is highly appreciated, because it is "stopper" for me at the moment.
Posted 19 Jan, 2016 21:40:03 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Axel,

I've reproduced the issue; I assume this is a bug in Add-in Express. It is now filed down under #8434 in our bug-tracking system. Unfortunately, we won't be able to provide a fix for it in the upcoming build; we are going to publish the new build today or tomorrow. When the issue is fixed, I'll let you know.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 20 Jan, 2016 04:04:27 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Axel,

I've found out that I didn't inform you that the behaviour is expected. This is how the Ribbon works in case of a built-in gallery. Please forgive me.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 01 Nov, 2016 08:36:21 Top