Taskpane backcolor in excel 2016 is white/blank

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Taskpane backcolor in excel 2016 is white/blank

Xavier N

Hello,
I have a multi application addin developed with adx and using a taskpane. I set the UseOfficeThemeForBackground property to true for the taskpane to match the office color scheme. The color is correct in Excel, Word, Ppoint 2010.
The backcolor is also correct in Word and Powerpoint 2016 (for exemple dark gray). But in Excel 2016 the taskpane backcolor display white (even if i set UseOfficeThemeForBackground to false and try to set manually a blue backcolor for instance). I've noticed that in Excel 2016 the Ablebits ultimate suite display taskpane with a white background. Is there a bug on this feature in Excel 2016?
Thanks for any answser.
Xavier
Posted 23 Nov, 2015 05:19:40 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Xavier,

I can't reproduce the issue on a simple add-in targeting Excel 2016. I've set UseOfficeThemeForBackground = false, BackColor=ActiveCaption and I see that color in Excel (). If the issue is reproducible on your project, please send me that project for testing.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 23 Nov, 2015 06:14:19 Top
Xavier N

Andrei,
Sorry. i was sure i'v done the test with UseOfficeThemeForBackground = false and a coloured taspane back color but it works - i mean if i put a blue color, it give a blue back color (i suppose i forgot to change the color for the TP in the test). Nevertheless, if i try to get Office default color sheme using UseOfficeThemeForBackground = True, i always get a white background (only in excel 2016 : not in excel 2010 or ppoint 2016). For my addin of for exemple with the ADX DPINotRezize addin..
And i also got AbleBits Ultimate Suite taskpane also in white (eg: find broken links) (i suppose this addin is developped with UseOfficeThemeForBackground = True but i may not be).
Is it also your case ? (if you want i can send you a picture)
Thanks again for your answer.
Regards. Xavier
Posted 23 Nov, 2015 08:24:18 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

No problem.

Xavier N writes:
Nevertheless, if i try to get Office default color sheme using UseOfficeThemeForBackground = True, i always get a white background (only in excel 2016 : not in excel 2010 or ppoint 2016).

I see. This is the design decision we made when working on supporting Office 2016 in Add-in Express. If you need a different color, you can set UseOfficeThemeForBackground=false and use that color on the pane.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 23 Nov, 2015 08:41:43 Top
Xavier N

Thanks Andrei i understand (and because of the dark grey theme i understand your decision - the theme make the text diffcily readable if in black)
Nevertheless it seems the design decision was not applied to all office apps: i mean PPoint and Word 2016 still render the default office theme..
Thanks again for your answer. Xavier
Posted 23 Nov, 2015 08:53:55 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Xavier N writes:
Nevertheless it seems the design decision was not applied to all office apps: i mean PPoint and Word 2016 still render the default office theme..

If UseOfficeThemeForBackground = true, the background color of the pane is given by Add-in Express. That is, the design decision is to have different default background colors for different Office applications. This applies to *all* Office versions that Add-in Express panes support.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 23 Nov, 2015 09:44:13 Top
Xavier N

Thanks Andrei,
Sorry, I prefer to confirm and be sure...
(I'm not sure to understand when you say :
This applies to *all* Office versions that Add-in Express panes support.
.)

For exemple with an addin which use a taskpane with UseOfficeThemeForBackground = true (no color applied), we have :
- For Excel and Word 2010 with blue Theme : a blue backcolor in Word and Excel
- For Excel and Word 2016 with darkgrey Theme: a darkgrey backcolor in Word, a white backcolor in Excel..

Can you confirm it's the same on your side ? Can you say if the TP is also white in Excel 2013 - and take the Office color theme for others apps ? (Office 2013 is not installed on my PC)...
Sorry to insist.
Thanks again. Xavier
Posted 23 Nov, 2015 11:19:34 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Xavier,

When the code of Add-in Express finds out the Office theme currently used, it assigns a color to the task pane's BackColor property. The color assigned is *not* taken from the Office theme. Instead, a complex logic is involved. Some of the colors are taken a set of pre-defined colors; these colors are chosen by our designers when they work on support of the next Office version. In some versions of some Office applications, there's no actual color because a color gradient is drawn.

That is, the default color assigned to your pane may be different for every version of any given Office application. It may also be different for every application of any given Office version.

I confirm that for Excel 2016, the color chosen is white. For Word 2016, a color gradient is drawn for some Office themes; for other themes Add-in Express uses a predefined number.

Hope I've managed to explain that this is a design decision, not a bug. And again, if you need to have a different color, set UseOfficeThemeForBackground=false.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 24 Nov, 2015 02:55:14 Top
Xavier N

Hello Andrei,
Yes you're quite clear (and sorry for my misundersansding). I (partially) understand the decision taken (i think it will be more consistant if all office application in a given version take the same TP backcolor - but it's only a point of view). I will use UseOfficeThemeForBackground=false.
Maybe that information should be shared in a blog post on the updates and new features of the ADX 8 for .net (if it is, i was using version 6 previously)..
Thanks again for the detailed explaination.
Regards
Xavier
Posted 24 Nov, 2015 04:00:37 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

You are welcome.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 24 Nov, 2015 05:19:56 Top