Keyboard Shortcuts

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Keyboard Shortcuts
ADXKeyboardShortcut.ShortcutText Property 
devin@lilliangroup.com-1

I have created an ADXKeyboardShortcut and I would like to set the ShortcutText property to be Ctrl+] (that's a right square bracket, or closing square bracket) but I cannot find the bracket in the list of possible shortcut key combinations in the property window. When I try to manually type Ctrl+] it removes the bracket automatically. Please assist as I need to use this key combination specifically. Thank you.
Posted 20 Nov, 2015 15:12:25 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello,

In the code of Add-in Express, a shortcut is limited to a digit or letter in combination with CTRL/ALT/SHIFT.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 23 Nov, 2015 06:19:06 Top
devin@lilliangroup.com-1

Yes, and so I want to create a shortcut with the shortcut text: CTRL and ]

It will not let me use that combination for some reason. The designer removes the right bracket everytime I add it.
Posted 23 Nov, 2015 11:24:30 Top
devin@lilliangroup.com-1

Another example is I want to create a shortcut where the shortcut text is Ctrl \ (backslash) and also Ctrl Shift >

Cannot figure out how to set the shortcuttext to either of those two combinations as well. The sole reason we purchased your software was for the ability to override built-in keyboard shortcuts so this is a pretty important topic to my boss.
Posted 23 Nov, 2015 13:25:27 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

devin@lilliangroup.com-1 writes:
Another example is I want to create a shortcut where the shortcut text is Ctrl \ (backslash) and also Ctrl Shift >

As explained, supported are letters, not symbols.

We will consider supporting such symbols in one of the future Add-in Express version. The workaround available for you is to use Windows API to set up a keyboard hook. See https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/74f3d7b1-afa3-4a38-8132-59c754ad1ae7/how-do-i-set-a-low-level-mouse-hook-and-keyboard-hook-in-c?forum=csharpgeneral.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 24 Nov, 2015 05:09:49 Top
devin@lilliangroup.com-1

Any possibility that you may modify the members of the ShortcutText property to allow for the use of symbols and release that in a minor update that way I don't have to pay for a completely new version just to get access to a few additional characters for keyboard shortcuts?

Thanks for the link regarding the low level hook for keyboard shortcuts, the only thing I haven't been able to figure out is how to limit the hook to the current instance of outlook so that the keyboard shortcuts are only picked up by outlook and when it is active.
Posted 25 Nov, 2015 09:54:36 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello,

We are going to publish a new build in December. I suppose that fix will be included.

how to limit the hook to the current instance of outlook

It is limited to the Windows process in which it is created. An unlimited hook is called global; I don't talk about global hooks.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 26 Nov, 2015 06:08:12 Top
devin@lilliangroup.com-1

How can I access the new build that you are posting this month?

(UPDATE) Nevermind, I found the section here: https://www.add-in-express.com/downloads/adxnet.php
Posted 23 Dec, 2015 13:36:23 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Devin,

Ctrl \ (backslash) and also Ctrl Shift >

Our guys have pointed me to the possibility to enter such combinations using the Keys Enumeration; pay attention to the keys the name of which starts with "Oem".

Try using Ctrl+OEMBACKSLASH, Ctrl+OEMCLOSEBRACKETS and Ctrl+Shift+OEMPERIOD

Andrei Smolin
Posted 12 Jan, 2016 09:52:00 Top