Why do ADX projects use the _Application class interface and not the Application class?

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Why do ADX projects use the _Application class interface and not the Application class?

nwein

After reading a bit about the subject I found myself wondering why do you guys generate the HostApplication as an _Application and not as Application?
The two are almost similar but there are some changes between the classes/interfaces, especially when dealing with different version of Office. ADX - being a product that aims to support multiple versions - it would make even more sense to use Application.
Care to elaborate on this?
As always, thanks!

Overview of Classes and Interfaces in the Office Primary Interop Assemblies
Posted 07 Aug, 2015 13:42:21 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Nir,

Mnemonically, I regard Application as _Application plus events.

Could you please point me to a page describing such changes?

Regards from Belarus (GMT+3),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 10 Aug, 2015 05:30:41 Top
nwein

Yeah, that's the difference I was talking about, _Application doesn't inherit ApplicationEvents4_Event and, even though I can't remember where I saw it, I remember reading that those events were tied more closely to the version of Office.
There is more information about this here.
It's a very minor change for you to change the auto-code generation template, and it would bow well with Microsoft's paradigm.
Posted 10 Aug, 2015 10:33:16 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Nir,

Add-in Express covers the need for events by providing events components and events classes. To get Application instead of _Application, you can just modify the OutlookApp property in the code of the add-in module. Sincerely, I'm not sure that I see the paradigm you've mentioned.

Regards from Belarus (GMT+3),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 11 Aug, 2015 04:52:47 Top