Email converted to winmail.dat when sending

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Email converted to winmail.dat when sending

Jamie Reid

When sending emails using my add-in I'm tracking some info using a user property, but when the email is sent the contents are changed and a winmail.dat file is attached by outlook.

I've tried removing the property in the send event as is suggested in some other topics on here but that doesn't seem to work. Is there any other way to disable outlook from converting it to a winmail?
Posted 12 May, 2015 16:33:58 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Jamie,

Jamie Reid writes:
I've tried removing the property in the send event as is suggested in some other topics on here but that doesn't seem to work

To avoid that, create a named MAPI property using MailItem.PropertyAccessor instead, see https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ff863046%28v=office.15%29.aspx.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 13 May, 2015 05:34:32 Top
Jamie Reid

Hi Andrei,

I've tried using the PropertyAccessor you suggested but because I need to support older versions of Outlook, neither the Outlook.PorpertyAccessor or MailItem.PropertyAccessor exist. Is there a different solution that I can use that will work on everything back to Outlook 2000?
Posted 13 May, 2015 08:35:08 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

No universal solution exists. In Outlook 2000-2003, you can use Extended MAPI to create a named property. I suggest that you google for such code.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 13 May, 2015 08:38:42 Top