Log file for Add-in Express

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Log file for Add-in Express

julian.benjamin

Where is the log file kept for Add-in express? I'm trying to publish a project as a click-once application, and I keep getting an "Object Reference is not set to an instance of an object" error. I'd like to see what it's breaking on and fix it.
Posted 06 Mar, 2015 16:02:04 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Julian,

There's no log file created at publish time. Could you please let me look at a screenshot showing the error message? If there's a call stack or any other details, can I have a look into them as well? You can send this info to the support email address; please find it in {Add-in Express installation folder}\readme.txt. Please make sure your email contains a link to this topic.

I suppose the cause of the issue is your code which isn't prepared to be run outside of Outlook. When you publish the add-in, an instance of the add-in module is created. This also loads all dependent assemblies, executes the initializers of the variables declared on the class level of the add-in module and executes the module's constructor. If the constructor (or initializers) accesses some Outlook-related things, it will fail because the add-in isn't loaded in Outlook at this moment.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 09 Mar, 2015 05:34:22 Top
julian.benjamin

I managed to get it working by deleting the existing Publish folder and re-publishing. Something must've been corrupted in there which was preventing it from publishing correctly.
Posted 13 Mar, 2015 21:19:37 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Thank you for posting this!

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 16 Mar, 2015 04:06:40 Top