Using ADXOLSolutionFolder with IMAP account

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Using ADXOLSolutionFolder with IMAP account

Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Fabrice,

Thank you for your patience; it took us a while to investigate the issue.

First off, how the issue looks like. If we choose Folders (or Folder List) in Navigation Options (below the Navigation pane), restart Outlook with the add-in enabled and choose the IMAP profile, the Outlook window shows us the following things in this order (whenever the issue occurs): 1) the root folder of the solution module gets created in the folder structure of the message store, 2) the solution module gets added to Navigation options, 3) the folder disappears from the folder structure, 4) Outlook hangs.

To investigate the issue, we've created a VSTO add-in with the relevant part of the Add-in Express code. The VSTO add-in produced the same issue. We found a potential problem with a COM object(s) that might be left unreleased by Add-in Express but polishing the code didn't fix the issue. Moreover, we reproduced the issue on a test add-in created using Add-in Express for VCL; the point is Delphi is a COM-aware compiler and it generates code that releases COM objects behind the scene (so no unreleased COM objects may exist).

It is obvious that the issue doesn't relate to Add-in Express for Office and.NET.

I'm preparing a project to publish on the Outlook for Developers forum. When it is ready, I post a question on that forum and copy a link here.

Regards from Belarus (GMT+3),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 22 Jan, 2015 08:27:54 Top
Fabrice Durieu

Ok, thank you for your help!

So the only condition to reproduce the freeze is: main store is IMAP, right ?
Do you think it's possible to disable the solution module before it freeze the application, if we can detect that the main store is IMAP ?
-------------
Posted 26 Jan, 2015 03:56:50 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Fabrice,

Yes, you can: you can delete the ADXSolutionModule component from the add-in module in the ADXAddinModule.AddinInitialize event.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 26 Jan, 2015 04:32:10 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Fabrice & all,

I've posted my question on the Outlook for Developers forum:
https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ccd338d1-245f-41c8-8dba-2573a41ccbfd/outlook-2013-hangs-when-using-the-solutions-module-on-imap?forum=outlookdev.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 28 Jan, 2015 05:22:25 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello all,

They've replied at https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/ccd338d1-245f-41c8-8dba-2573a41ccbfd/outlook-2013-hangs-when-using-the-solutions-module-on-imap?forum=outlookdev confirming that the issue belongs to Outlook. You can use the information they provide to open the support case and try to solve the issue.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 05 Feb, 2015 04:50:38 Top
Fabrice Durieu

Hello Andrei

I just realized that I forgot to reply here to thank you for your work.
We don't currently have the resource to spend time on this case, so we won't open a support case now, and will remove the feature if we detect an IMAP store under Outlook 2013. I hope we'll be able to spend some time on this case later, so I kept the zip file with your VSTO add-in in case the microsoft support ask me a sample.
Thank you for your support.
-------------
Posted 26 Feb, 2015 06:15:00 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

You are welcome! No problem, absolutely.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 26 Feb, 2015 06:23:44 Top