Add-in Express crash on Outlook startup.

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Add-in Express crash on Outlook startup.
When office UI Theme registry value is set as string insteadof DWord.  
Christian Bakke

Hi

All ADX addins (for Outlook 15 at least) stops working if "UI Theme" registry value is set (incorrectly) as a string value rather than DWORD.

The value is located here:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common\

This is fixed by deleting the string value and creating it as DWord instead.

(The error does not occur when setting themes from Outlook as it creates a correct DWord value)

However one of Our customers is experiencing this now. They claim they do not modify this registry setting (during Office install), but I'm not 100% sure that they don't.

However Your code should handle this I think? Int.Parse or TryParse would solve this if I'm not mistaken?

The offending code:

"int registryValue = (int)key.CurrentKey.GetValue("UI Theme", (int)-1);"

It is located in: ADXAddinModule.cs ( Method: "void IDTExtensibility2.OnStartupComplete(ref System.Array custom)" )

This fails With "invalid cast" exception.

Hope you can fix this soon. We have recently upgraded to Premium and now have Access to full Source code. Can we use this to make Our own fix and can we distribute this to the Client who is facing the problem?

(Not sure we are ready to do this anytime soon, but would it be OK for us to do so?)

Regards
Christian Bakke
Posted 17 Jun, 2014 15:01:39 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Christian ,

We will fix the issue ASAP and I'll send you a fixed assembly as soon as I have it.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 18 Jun, 2014 09:45:48 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Christian ,

I've just send you an email with a download link and instructions. Please let me know if this fixes the issue on your side.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 19 Jun, 2014 10:37:06 Top