Package Load Failure?

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Package Load Failure?
Visual Studio (2008) throwing error during design-time 
aweber

Just starting a new solution/project and adding the office events to my AddinModule Designer.

VS keeps throwing the following error:
Package Load Failure
Package 'Visual Studio Explorers and Designers Package' has failed to load properly (GUID = {8D8529D3-625D-4496-8354-3DAD630ECC1B} ). Please contact package vendor for assistance. Application restart is recommended, due to possible environment corruption. Would you like to disable loading this package in the future? You may use 'devenv /resetskippkgs' to re-enable package loading.

This is my first use of Add-in Express, so it could be something I'm doing wrong, but I'm obviously a little concerned that I "broke it" within seconds of trying it (without TRYING to "break it").

Thanks for any help,
AJ
Posted 21 Nov, 2013 12:33:36 Top
aweber

Google is telling me this could be as a result of some Windows Update screwing up my installation in general. I'm more than a little pissed-off.

-AJ
Posted 21 Nov, 2013 15:12:01 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello AJ,

Our guys have run into a similar situation after installing WiX; looks like . They've told me that they tried using 'devenv /setup' and this helped:

On my PC the actual command for VS 2008 is this
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe" /setup

The following doesn't apply to Windows XP. The command must be run in an ELEVATED Command Prompt. Being an administrator on the machine/domain is not enough; use the "Run as administrator" option to elevate permissions.

Hope this helps.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 22 Nov, 2013 02:14:16 Top
aweber

I had found the command:
devenv /resetskippkgs

And it seemed to work for a while. But I was just editing a brand new ADX Com Add-In, and clicking in the background of the AddIn Designer brings that message up again.

Tried resetting it with the same command and it didn't help.

This would appear to be an issue specifically with the interaction of Addin Express and VS, so I guess I look to your support team to find a more permanent solution. Should I open some kind of support ticket?

Thanks,
AJ
Posted 22 Nov, 2013 10:06:49 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Your first message in this topic triggered the support workflow so no extra tickets are required.

As explained, we think this is something relating to VS. There's no indication that this relates to Add-in Express: after installing Add-in Express doesn't necessarily means that Add-in Express caused this. Plus, there're no simliar messages on this forum and we've never received such reports through our email.

In my previous message, I described our case: we've received a similar failure after installing WiX. In our case, devenv /setup helped. Have you tried this? Be aware, this is a lenghty operation.

You can also try installing Visual Studio latest updates or re-install Visual Studio.

We'll keep an eye on similar cases but in this case I'm sceptical.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 22 Nov, 2013 10:52:45 Top