Unable to deploy files to the User's Personal Data Folder

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

ADEUser

I have created a setup project using the "Add-in Express for Microsoft Office and .NET Setup Project Wizard". I have added some template files that I would like a limited-rights user to be able to access (open, manipulate, save, move, etc.). I'm trying to install these template files to the "User's Personal Data" folder with the idea being the user could go into their My Documents folder and view/modify these template files. The problem is that upon installation the limited user?Â?Ð?és rights need to be elevated to administrator privileges so the installation can target the Program Files folder. Windows then runs the installation as an administrator and stores the files intended for the limited user into the administrator account's My Documents folder. How do I deploy files to a non-administrator's My Documents folder (or really any location that is user-specific and user-friendly) when the limited-user has temporarily elevated permissions needed for install? Perhaps there is something done during the wizard that needs to be changed?

I must be missing something very simple as I see no other posts anywhere on the Internet having this similar issue. It has to elevate to administrator rights due to the adxregistrator.exe custom actions, right?

Thanks very much!!!
Posted 04 May, 2013 09:45:47 Top
ADEUser

Thanks for your support on this question!
Posted 05 May, 2013 22:26:00 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Jason,

If I understand you correctly, end users are supposed to invite an administrator (or get administrative permissions in some other way) in order to install your add-in. This doesn't seem a correct way of installing per-user software. Why per-user software should be installed to Program Files, which is read-only for the end user? What do you think?

If a per-user installer is run with administrative permissions, this means that it is actually run for the administrator user, not for the user who started the installer.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 06 May, 2013 02:31:37 Top
ADEUser

Thanks Andrei. I obviously was not thinking straight and was coming from the wrong direction entirely.
Posted 06 May, 2013 09:23:51 Top