Install fails on non dev machines

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Install fails on non dev machines
Cannot load type AddinExpress.MSO.ADXRemoteObject 
Matt Driver

Matt

Yes it was changed from 1.0.x to 3.0.x as we want the product to start at version 3. maybe I did change the code.

I am still having trouble it worked for a few builds and now will not auto upgrade anymore!

I have found the overall error message on the options page load its the line:

string adxVersion = System.Reflection.Assembly.GetAssembly(Type.GetTypeFromProgID("AddinExpress.MSO.ADXOlPropertyPage")).GetName().Version.ToString(4);

to get the projects version to display on the options page generates an NULL Exception on GetAssembly()

This used to work so not sure what has changed.

Matt
Posted 14 Jun, 2006 09:54:42 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Matt, this error appears because ADX is not registered as a COM library when the add-in is installed. So you can't use the GetTypeFromProgID method.
However if you want to register ADX library, you can use the /RegAsm="1" command in the custom actions.
e.g.

Install
AddinExpress.Install.dll /Shim="[TARGETDIR]\<shim>.dll" /GAC="MSO" /RegAsm="1"

Rollback

Uninstall
Posted 14 Jun, 2006 10:26:31 Top
Matt Driver

Matt

Thanks, I have also worked out the project version bit, for some reason I have been developing the last two years happily with the assembly self incrementing itself and upgrading over 100 clients happily, this was under VB.NET an older version of the add-in and VS2003. For some now I have a C# 2003 build on the latest add-in unless I increment the version of the installer each time I build the non dev clients do not upgrade automatically I have to uninstall and re-install. Anyway I am happy changing build version each time.

Thanks again for the prompt responses.

Matt
Posted 14 Jun, 2006 11:16:56 Top