Ability to drag into Outlook lost with Add-In enabled

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Ability to drag into Outlook lost with Add-In enabled

Krista Brown

I have been working with the Add-in Express toolkit for a few weeks. I discovered today that having my add-in enabled appears to completely disable the ability to drag and drop files into Outlook from an external application such as Explorer. I verified this by disabling my add-in and seeing that that normal drag and drop capability was restored. I am not doing anything unusual and am hoping that there is a solution for this issue.

Just for further clarification, drag and drop within Outlook is working fine. Additionally, I am not using WPF, just standard Win Forms.

Thanks,
Krista
Posted 07 Jan, 2013 16:16:53 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Krista,

I cannot reproduce this issue in Outlook 2013 32bit with a number of Add-in Express based add-ins registered. Can you please provide more details? How exactly you drop files? In what way drag-n-drop doesn't work? Do you get error messages?

Does your add-in handle adding items to that folder? Please try to reproduce the issue by dropping files to another folder. Make sure that all other COM add-ins are turned off.

Regards from Belarus (GMT+3),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 08 Jan, 2013 03:41:33 Top
Krista Brown

Hello,

I am attempting to drag files from Windows Explorer into Outlook. With the add-in installed, any drag operation that originates outside of Outlook is not allowed into Outlook (the cursor turns into the circle with a line through it). I am able to drag mail and attachments from within the Outlook folder structure onto a region i have created.

If I disable my add-in, all drag and drop operations work normally (i.e. I can drag a file from Windows Explorer into Outlook). The add-in I am writing needs to be able to accept files dragged not just from within Outlook folders but also from outside of Outlook.

I can provide screenshots or a video if necessary. The project itself is quite large.

Thanks,
Krista
Posted 08 Jan, 2013 11:54:33 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Krista,

Does the inability to drop applies to your region only or to any Outlook window as well? That is, can you drop the file into the current folder? What class type is the region based on? ADXOlForm?

Can you please check if the issue is reproducible with the add-in supplied with this blog: http://www.add-in-express.com/creating-addins-blog/2012/03/26/outlook-task-pane-drag-drop/?

Regards from Belarus (GMT+3),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 09 Jan, 2013 04:34:41 Top