Add-in causing very slow loading in Visio

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Add-in causing very slow loading in Visio

Robert Cowham

I have discovered an interesting side effect - my addin to Visio 2010 was causing 40+ second delays. Easily verifiable as just the action on Developer > COM Addins and checking the adding box caused a major delay.

Fr om various forum searches I tried a few things, including .Net 4.0, disabling anti-virus etc, but nothing really changed.

From using Procmon, I realised that there was a major time period wh ere Visio did not appear (i.e. was "paused") and immediately at the start of that period, there were calls to print related services.

My default printer has some form of network problem and can be very slow to load. By changing the default printer, all the problems went away.

I am not sure why the addin interacts with the default printer in this manner??

Loader version: 6.6.3059.0
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit
Process Owner: Administrator
Command Line: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\VISIO.EXE"
Run 'As Administrator': No
Process Elevated: No
Integrity Level: Medium
UAC (User Account Control): On
Posted 08 Feb, 2012 07:16:47 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Posted 08 Feb, 2012 07:33:37 Top
Robert Cowham

I have a workaround - set a different default printer.

But why does loading the addin cause the printer to be checked?
Posted 08 Feb, 2012 08:25:52 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Robert,

The printer shouldn't affect COM add-ins registered for Visio. Anyway, it looks like the issue depends on the host application. Do you see any delay in the adxloader.log file?

BTW Did you have a chance to check the Certificate revocation settings?
Posted 08 Feb, 2012 08:38:49 Top
Robert Cowham

Hi Eugene

I checked the Certificate Revocation settings and turned them off - didn't make any difference.

If I set the default printer to the slow printer and start Visio without the ADX addin, it starts within a few seconds. With the ADX addin it takes 25-40 seconds.

If I set the default printer to e.g. Send to OneNote, and start Visio WITH the ADX addin it starts only a couple of seconds longer than usual.

No delay in adxloader.log visible.

Robert
Posted 08 Feb, 2012 10:06:12 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Robert,

Are you able to reproduce the issue with a newly created empty add-in project? Did you try to create a VSTO based add-in project? Does it work as expected?
Posted 08 Feb, 2012 10:17:21 Top