Add-In Showing as Unloaded

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Add-In Showing as Unloaded
Can't get Add-In Registered 
dan gallery

Hi guys,

All has been well for months, until today I had an infinite loop bug in my Word Add-In so I had to End-task. Ever since then, Word refuses to show my Add-In ribbon. I go to Word Options, Add-Ins, Com Add-Ins, and my add-in shows, but is un-checked and shows as "Unloaded". It refuses to hold the check box.

I restored my solution from last nights backup, still the same thing. I also checked the Load Behavior setting in the registry, it is 3. And my project load behavior is set to Connected;LoadAtStartup

The weird thing is if I make a Click-Once build and run the web install, the Add-In appears again. But as soon as I compile in VS, the add-in disappears and says "Unloaded". So I cannot test any new changes.

I also un-installed and re-installed Word. I'm totally down, this is driving me crazy, please help!

Thanks,
Dan
Posted 12 Jan, 2012 15:01:57 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Dan,

Check the "Disabled Items" list. in pre-Ribbon Word versions, you access it from the About window. In the Ribbon era, you access it from the Add-ins tab in the Options window.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 13 Jan, 2012 02:58:32 Top
dan gallery

Hi Andrei,

I've checked the Disabled Items list many times. It shows as un-checked. I check it, click save. Exit and go back in. Its un-checked. The re-enabling does not stick. I've tried checking the Load Behavior for the Add-In in the registry, and its set to 3.

Dan
Posted 17 Jan, 2012 15:38:35 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hi Dan,

Can you please copy adxloader.log here? Make sure that it contains correct dates...

Andrei Smolin
Posted 18 Jan, 2012 03:28:45 Top
Henri Pellemans

This morning I had a similar problem after 'something went wrong' yesterday late in the evening.

My ADX COM Add-in [which contains a ribbon for Excel, Outlook and Word] was not loaded. It was listed in the 'Disabled Application Add-ins' and I could not enable the add-in again. I only checked Outlook. In order to reproduce the problem and see if the problem was only Outlook related I did the following.

The friendly name of the add-in is testOffice, so I unregistered the ADX project and deleted 'everything' in the registry with respect to 'testOffice' and restarted my computer.

Then I rebuild the ADX project 'testOffice' and registered the project.

Now the ribbon is available in Excel and in Word, but not in Outlook. In Outlook it is listed in the 'Disabled Application Add-ins'. If I try to check the add-in the checked item is not saved. The window with the COM add-ins says 'Load Beheavior Deleted'.

So the ribbon of the add-in shows up in Excel and in Word, and works fine, but the same add-in won't load in Outlook. This is strange. The load beheaviour in the registry is 3 for Excel, Word and Outlook.

I checked the registry once again and found the difference:

Excel | Addins | testOffice.AddinModule ADXStartMode = NORMAL
Outlook | Addins | testOffice.AddinModule ADXStartMode = FIRSTSTART
Word | Addins | testOffice.AddinModule ADXStartMode = NORMAL

I set the Outlook value in the registry manually to 'NORMAL'. BTW as far as I know I did not change any loadbeheaviour in the ADX project.

Problem solved? No!

The ribbon still is not showing in Outlook and checking the add-in is not saved.

Maybe I have to restart my computer again. If that solves the problem I will let you know it.

My software = ADX .NET PRO latest version, WIN7 PRO 64-bit, VS2010 PRO and Office2010 PRO 32-bit, all with latest SPs.

Best regards,

Henri
Posted 19 Jan, 2012 03:52:20 Top
Henri Pellemans

I cleaned the registry and re-created my testOffice project. The good news: that was only a few minutes work...

The code works fine in Excel and Word, but in Outlook the ribbon is still not shown. I can't enable the add-in in Outlook.

In the registry I noticed some changes:

all ADXStartMode = FIRSTSTART [before 2 x NORMAL and 1 x FIRSTSTART]

In CustomUIValidationCache there are settings:
testOffice.AddinModule.Micosoft.Excel.Workbook and
testOffice.AddinModule.Micosoft.Word.Document but
testOffice.AddinModule.Micosoft.Outlook... is missing [this morning this setting was available]

I have no idea what these settings mean, just wanted to let you know.

Henri
Posted 19 Jan, 2012 05:22:37 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hi Henri,

Typically, this occurs because of an unhandled exception in your code: it crashes the host application and Office marks (or suggests to mark) the add-in as "Inactive".

You should select the add-in in the Disabled Items list and click Enable. I suggest that you take a copy of adxloader.log after doing this, restart the host application and take another copy of adxloader.log. If the problem persists, please send me the copies - find the support email address in {Add-in Express installation folder}\readme.txt - and make sure your email contains a link to this topic. I'd also like that you send me the existing adxregistrator.log (if any).

Andrei Smolin
Posted 19 Jan, 2012 05:32:00 Top
Henri Pellemans

Hi Andrei,

As Dan Gallery also stated: you can check the checkbox [trying to enable the add-in in Outlook] as many times as you want, it won't be saved.

I deleted the adxloader.log.

If I start Excel or Word a new ADX log is generated.

If I delete the ADX log and start Outlook, no ADX log is generated. I tried this several times.

So I can't send ADX logs.

Henri
Posted 19 Jan, 2012 06:08:08 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hi Henri,

Can you please send me your AddinModule.cs (AddinModule.vb)? In fact, any business logic or other sensitive info can be removed. What I need is to look at how you use the Office object models. Please send me adxloader.log created by loading your add-in in Excel or Word. Also, please send me adxregistrator.log, if it exists.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 19 Jan, 2012 06:28:05 Top
Henri Pellemans

Hello Andrei,

I just have sent you an e-mail message.

Regards,

Henri
Posted 20 Jan, 2012 08:22:50 Top