Add-in loads twice

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Add-in loads twice

Eranga Weeraratne

Hi,

In my Outlook Add-in I have a Form Region and for that, the Registry entry is such that the Form Region manifest and all are read from the Add-in itself. However I face the issue that Add-in loads twice when I have Form Region registry entry. When I remove that, the Add-in loads only once. I notice that Add-in Initialization and all happens twice. Even the command bar events are executed twice.

However, in the Registry, there's only a single entry for this Add-in.

How do I stop the add-in loading twice?

This issue comes only in Outlook 2007. The same Add-in works well in Outlook 2010. Add-in is developed using Add-in Express and Visual Studio 2010.

Tks,
- Eranga
Posted 03 Jan, 2012 05:54:41 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hi Eranga,

I suppose you've registered and installed your add-in (or different versions of it). Can you try uninstalling your add-in on the affected machine and check if the add-in still works? Also, please check LoadBehavior in both {HKLM and HKCU}\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\{your add-in}.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 03 Jan, 2012 09:28:37 Top
Eranga Weeraratne

Hi Andrei,

Thanks for youy reply.

I am certain that the Add-in is not registered twice. Once the Add-in uninstalled, Outlook doesn't load the Add-in. Once install, that twice load issue comes.

The said Add-in is only available in HKCU branch. The Loadbehavior is set to 3, which is (Connected + LoadAtStartup). I tried changing this behavior to other modes and none did load the Add-in when Outlook starts.

My conclusion is that, before the Add-in starts in the 1st time, because of the FormRegion definition in Registry, Outlook loads the Add-in again. What do you think?

Like I said, this I observed only in machines (more than one) running Outlook 2007 in Windows 7. I ran Outlook in Win XP and it works fine.

Any further suggestions to debug the issue?

Rgds,
- Eranga
Posted 03 Jan, 2012 23:54:33 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

If you can reproduce the issue with a sample add-in project, you can send that project to me. Please find the support email address in {Add-in Express installation folder}\readme.txt. And make sure your email contains a link to this topic.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 04 Jan, 2012 03:06:17 Top
Eranga Weeraratne

Thanks for the response.

In http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/outlookdev/thread/6135e1be-db8a-4442-b90c-aa752e9175d2/ link it says this is in fact a known issue in OL 2007 and fixed in SP3. I tried with OL2007/SP3 system and so far things work well. I'll update if I find this issue in SP3 as well.

Rgds,
- Eranga
Posted 06 Jan, 2012 03:52:36 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hi Eranga,

Thank a lot for posting this here!

Andrei Smolin
Posted 06 Jan, 2012 04:00:09 Top