Bug report for Wix Designer 1.8.206 (VS2017)

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Bug report for Wix Designer 1.8.206 (VS2017)
Some issues discovered in Wix Designer 
Alex Dragoner

Hi guys,

Happy New Year!

It doesn't seem to be related to WiX Toolset version, but rather the environment. As an experiment, I have replicated our set up at home and it worked without any problems with both v3.11 and v.4 WiX Toolset versions. In the office environment, as you understand, it can be related to quite a few factors such as security restrictions, domain policies, etc. So, I guess, in order to solve this problem, you'll need a detailed log.

One thing that may give you a clue... I have noticed that when I launch Prerequisites dialog in the office environment, Packages directory is not initialized (it's blank), but at home it is. When I press Browse (in both environments), the choice is limited by Program Files directory only, through packages can be installed anywhere in principle.

Let me know, if I can help you any further to debug.

Kind regards,
Alex
Posted 02 Jan, 2018 06:13:39 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Alex,

When I press Browse (in both environments), the choice is limited by Program Files directory only, through packages can be installed anywhere in principle.

Do you have prerequisites installed in the 'c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\ClickOnce Bootstrapper' directory on the problematic PC?
Posted 03 Jan, 2018 06:00:06 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Alex, please try to copy prerequisites from the home environment to the office environment. Let me know if the issue still exists.
Posted 03 Jan, 2018 06:29:34 Top
Alex Dragoner

Hi Sergey,

Ok, more information...

When I open Prerequisites (on a working machine), it defaults to "D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Enterprise\SDK\BootStrapper" directory (as my VS is not installed in the default folder - maybe this is the issue).

On a non-working machine, if I open Prerequisites dialog first, set the path to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\ClickOnce Bootstrapper" and then open "My Prerequisites" - it works and I see the path set.

Well, it's a workaround, but please verify your logic - there is definitely a bug there.

Kind regards,
Alex
Posted 03 Jan, 2018 11:07:20 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Alex,

Thank you for the bug report. We will fix it in the next build.
Posted 04 Jan, 2018 07:27:02 Top