Doesn't work in Win7 x64

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Doesn't work in Win7 x64
Win7 x64 + Outlook 2010 
Lucas Sanches

Yes... I read the article and use the code to find which is the version...

Thanks you.
Posted 11 Sep, 2012 12:08:09 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Add-in Express team

Hi Lucas,

Did you try to register the secman.dll and osmax.ocx files manually (using the x86 edition of the regsvr32.exe utility)? Does it work?

The Outlook Security Manager 2010 deployment, part 1 article on our technical blog states the following:

To deploy your software that uses Outlook Security Manager ActiveX edition:

If you compile you software for the “x86″ platform, include the secman.dll and osmax.ocx files in your setup package. After that you register them on an end-user machine as COM objects.
If you compile your software for the “x64″ platform you should include the secman64.dll and osmax64.ocx files to your setup package. You must register them on an end-user computer as a COM objects.

As you can see, there are 2 pairs of Security Manager files: secman.dll and osmax.ocx are 32-bit; secman64.dll and osmax64.ocx are 64-bit. They are available in the Redistributables folder. In order to use them, you need to register them first, and only an administrator can do this. All installation software allows registering COM DLLs, please see the corresponding option of your software. Also, you can run the regsvr32.exe command:

For registering:
Regsvr32.exe {path}\{your dll}

For unregistering:
Regsvr32.exe /u {path}\{your dll}

Since the Security Manager files must be accessible by all users on the PC, you should place them as shared DLLs into a shared location, we recommend this folder – “[Common Files Folder]\Outlook Security Manager”.
.NET, Extended MAPI, Windows Phone & RT
Posted 12 Sep, 2012 05:16:16 Top
Lucas Sanches

Ohh...
Yes, does work.
And no, doesn't work.

Actually I've got two environment.
The first one is in my customer, where I found the problem.
The second is a test environment built for simulate the problem.

I will tell you what I do.
I build an small app just for register OSM.
First of all the app unregister any DLL.
After this we check the version of the outlook using "Is64BitsOutlook()" function in the article, and then we register the correct components.

On my test environment it works.
On my costumer doesn't work.
Posted 12 Sep, 2012 06:26:57 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Add-in Express team

Hi Lucas,

It looks like the problem is related to the app you developed for registering files (not security manager files). Am I right? Did you have a chance to register the required security manager files manually from the command line?

Did you try to debug the code of your app which registers Outlook Security Manager files on the customer PC? Do you run the app with admin privileges? Is the UAC enabled?
Posted 12 Sep, 2012 07:23:00 Top
Lucas Sanches

It looks like the problem is related to the app you developed for registering files (not security manager files). Am I right?

If it was, would not work in the environment test.
The code that I used, was provided here: http://www.add-in-express.com/creating-addins-blog/2010/05/06/outlook-deployment-bitness-regsvr32/

Do you run the app with admin privileges?

Yes.

Is the UAC enabled?

(On the test it is)
I'm not sure. But let say that's enabled.
What kind of problem I can get here?
Posted 12 Sep, 2012 07:53:44 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Add-in Express team

Hi Lucas,

Did you have a chance to register the required security manager files manually from the command line? Does it work on the problematic PC?

Please read more about the UAC in the AC: User Account Control in MSDN.
Posted 12 Sep, 2012 08:21:17 Top
Lucas Sanches

Did you have a chance to register the required security manager files manually from the command line? Does it work on the problematic PC?

Not yet.

The permission of the osmax and secman in the Component Services (dcomcnfg.exe utility) depending of permission level of the user that's running outlook.exe?
Posted 12 Sep, 2012 08:32:35 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Add-in Express team

Hi Lucas,

I have just found your last post here unanswered. Could you please let me know the results after registering the required security manager files manually from the command line? Did it help?

The Outlook Security Manager 2010 deployment, part 1 article on our technical blog states the following:

As you can see, there are 2 pairs of Security Manager files: secman.dll and osmax.ocx are 32-bit; secman64.dll and osmax64.ocx are 64-bit. They are available in the Redistributables folder. In order to use them, you need to register them first, and only an administrator can do this.
Posted 12 Oct, 2012 10:51:12 Top