.NET Framework 4.0 Full requirement too large

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

.NET Framework 4.0 Full requirement too large
Difference between .Net Framework 3.5 and 4.0? 
Rabbit

My updatable (Publish ADX) Internet Explorer add-on requires .NET Framework 4.0 [48.1MB] to work. I tried it with .NET Framework 3.5 [>200Mb] and .NET Framework 4.0 Client Profile [41.0MB] but the add-on did not run in IE7/8 with those, and the file size was no better.

My concern is that for the test machines I have tried only one had .NET Framework 4.0 pre-installed (5% of users by some online stats), which means that the majority of computers require a 50Mb download to run an addon that is purely a handful of lines of C# code that interacts with and adds elements to the HTML DOM and JavaScript. The installation process is therefore actually extremely slow on many systems/slower Internet connections.

Therefore, does anyone know a way of packaging the installer with the requirements in a way that would not be such a large and slow download (ie. 50Mb) for the user after they run the initial 500Kb setup.exe file we distribute please?
Posted 15 Feb, 2011 18:51:06 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Rabbit,

The add-on should work with .NET Framework 4.0 Client Profile if you don't use the System.Design and System.Web references in your project. Please check it.
If you develop the add-on for .NET Framework 4.0, you also can set the 'Target Framework' option of the project to '.NET Framework 4.0 Client Profile'.
Posted 16 Feb, 2011 09:25:43 Top
Rabbit

I have:

using System;
using System.Reflection;
using System.Runtime.InteropServices;
using System.ComponentModel;
using System.Windows.Forms;
using System.IO;
using System.Deployment;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using mshtml;
using IE = Interop.SHDocVw;

but the add-on does nothing with just the .NET Framework 4 Client installed.
Posted 16 Feb, 2011 16:01:16 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Rabbit,

I meant the references in the References section of the project.
Please send me the adxregistrator.log file. Probably it contains any errors.
Posted 17 Feb, 2011 11:25:44 Top