How to use a third-party dll in a SideBar with Add-in-express

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

David Laning

I have a third party dll (and ocx) that I would like to use with my SideBar in Add-in-Express. The project is in C#. I could not find an example in the forum on how to do this. A simple dll example to get me going would be highly appreciated. In addition, If there is an ocx example that would be fantastic. Thank You. DBL
Posted 31 May, 2010 23:14:53 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hi David,

As far as I understand you have a third-party ActiveX Controls library and you need to place an ActiveX control onto your IEBar (that is inherited from the System.Windows.Forms.UserControl class). You can do this in a usual way by adding a reference to your project, adding the ActiveX control to the Visual Studio toolbox and then dropping the added control onto your IEBar. Please see this MSDN article, it will help you with adding a reference and modifying the toolbox.

If you face any difficulties, please let me know, I will try to help further.
Posted 01 Jun, 2010 05:31:27 Top
David Laning

Dmitry:

I am getting thrown a "LoaderLock was detected" error.
"Attempting managed execution inside OS Loader lock. Do not attempt to run managed code inside a DllMain or image initilzation function since doing so can cause the application to hang."

Here is the experimental setup:
1) I added the third party .ocx file (ActiveX control) to the Visual Studio 2008 toolbox.
2) I created a Winform test project #1.
3) I created an Add-in-Express IEBar test project #2

Note: This particular third party ActiveX control does *not* have a graphical component to it.

4) I dropped the control onto the Winform in test project #1 and programmed a small C# app that used the control object's methods and changed it's properties.
5) I dropped the control onto the Add-in-Express IEBar in test project #2 and use the same a small C# app (as in test project #1) that used the control object's methods and changed it's properties.

6) Clean/Rebuild/Debug test project #1: the ActiveX control works. :-)
7) Clean/Rebuild/Debug test project #2: run time error (LoaderLock) thrown when the IEbar is opened up :-(

I investigated which line(s) of code were causing the error and I narrowed it down to the assignment statement:
this.axThirdPartyOcx1.OcxState =
((System.Windows.Forms.AxHost.State)(resources.GetObject("axThirdPartyOcx1.OcxState")));

in the middle of the InitalizeComponent code for Add-In-Express.

Any ideas on how to workaround this problem?

Thank You

DBL
Posted 03 Jun, 2010 23:13:46 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi David.

You can disable the Loader Lock exception in the Exceptions dialog of Visual Studio (Debug->Exceptions->Managed Debuggingc Assistants). It doesn't affect the application.
Posted 04 Jun, 2010 07:46:41 Top