Problem upgrading toolbar from deployment project

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Problem upgrading toolbar from deployment project

Ronald van den Berg

Recently we replaced the toolbar for Internet Explorer 2008 for the 2010 version in our implemnetation and I created a setup project to replace the old toolbars (which are already deployed to clients).

For this I set the property RemovePreviousVersions on true, kept the upgradecode identical, and incremented the setup version from 1.6 to 2.0 with a new productcode.

When I install the toolbar when the old version is already installed on the computer, and afterwards look in my "Programs and Features" the old version seems to be replaced. But when I open the Internet Explorer (IE8 on Vista) the old, not working toolbar still shows up in the Toolbar contextmenu and also still shows up in the "Manage add-ons" window. The new toolbar starts disabled.

Is this a known problem and is there any solution for this?
Posted 10 May, 2010 04:10:44 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Ronald.

Did you change the product code in the setup project? If so, please leave it the same for all versions of the add-on.
Posted 11 May, 2010 12:25:42 Top
Ronald van den Berg

Hi Sergey,

Well, if I would leave the product code intact, I would not be able to overwrite previous installations, which is not my intention.

Luckily it seems like most of my problems are solved now (well at least the problem with the old entries) by signing the adxloader dll's and/or adding an ADXIEModule to the new project. Only thing still standing is that on some computers while upgrading the toolbar seems to start in disabled mode while LoadAtStartup = true.
Posted 12 May, 2010 06:27:05 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Ronald.

Is the issue reproducible if you uninstall the previous version of the add-on completely and then install a new one?
Posted 13 May, 2010 10:30:42 Top
Ronald van den Berg

Ok, seems like I solved the last issue, somehow the ToolbarItem in the ADXIEModule was not standing there any more. Used the designer to add it again and now it seems to work allright. Only thing now is, that when the old version is installed for the user only, two toolbars show up, because I defaulted the new toolbar to the AllUsers installation only (so at least I can avoid these problems in the future). Is there a way to get around this, or check if there is a toolbar installed for the user only, so I can prompt the user with it during install?
Posted 14 May, 2010 09:55:14 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Ronald.

Actually it is not possible to install an IE add-on (BHO)/toolbar for the current user only.
It should be installed for all users under the admin account.
You can add a custom action to the setup project in order to check if the old version of the add-on is installed.
Posted 14 May, 2010 10:42:15 Top