adxContextMenu Outlook MailItem slow to display

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

adxContextMenu Outlook MailItem slow to display
Context menu takes a few seconds to appear 
Matt Newnham

I have been experimenting with the TadxContextMenu control in my Outlook 2007 add in for right clicking mail items.

The control works fine functionally, but for some reason it takes a few seconds to display the context menu each time you change folder. After the first display of the menu, all subsequent right clicks display the context menu without delay.

I have tried creating an empty project, with just the TadxAddinControl with one TadxCommandBarButton.
CommandBarName: FolderContextMenu
SupportedApp: ohaOutlook
Tag: 0
Temporary: True

Even with this project there is a delay, so I'm pretty sure it's not stuck in some other code i'm running.

Is there something I'm doing wrong in my configuration of the control?

Thanks,
Matt
Posted 19 Jan, 2011 05:03:03 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hi Matt,

Thank you for the detailed description. I have just created a small add-in project and tested it against Outlook 2007. I don't see any delays when the folder context menu is displayed. Do you have other COM add-ins installed? May it be that another add-in installed in your Outlook also changes that context menu?
Posted 19 Jan, 2011 06:23:32 Top
Matt Newnham

Hi Dmitry,
Thanks for getting back to me. I tried disabling all COM add-ins, but this didn't change the delay problem. The "OneNote Notes about Outlook Items" add-in appears to add an item to the context menu. Disabling this removes the context menu item, but does not eliminate the delay. Disabling my add-in does remove the delay, even with the OneNote add-in enabled.

This isn't a big problem as the functionality we require is available through another method, just a nice to have option.

Thanks,
Matt
Posted 19 Jan, 2011 06:50:05 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hi Matt,

I assume that I probably missed something during my testing. Could you please send me your test project and step-by-step instructions?

BTW, I used Delphi 7 and Add-in Express 2010 for Office and VCL (version 6.3.757). I tested my add-in with Outlook 2007 SP2 installed on Windows Vista.
Posted 19 Jan, 2011 11:09:28 Top