Toolbar showing up without menu items in Word 2003

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Toolbar showing up without menu items in Word 2003
See attached screenshot for example of this bug 
Andrei B

This problem is happening randomly and we can not replicate this problem. It happens with Word 2003 but is not tied to a specific OS.

We are using Add In Express 2009 (installer from adxvcl-v502-b0505-std.zip) and Delphi 2009.

I was able to make the problem go away if I use the "COM Add-Ins..." command. I can get there by clicking on the Tools menu and click Customize and clicking on the Commands tab, and clickong on Tools and dragging the "COM Add-Ins" button to a toolbar. In that window if I uncheck my plugin, click OK, then my toolbar goes away. If I go back into the COM Addins window and re-enable my plugin then the toolbar shows up fine.

Picture of it not working:

User added an image

Picture of it working after COM fix.

User added an image
Posted 22 Jul, 2010 10:43:24 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hi Andrei,

I suppose the Temporary property of the popup above is True. It is recommended that you use Temporary = False with command bars AND controls in Word add-ins. Note that you need to unregister the add-in before you change the value of this property.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 22 Jul, 2010 11:36:00 Top
Andrei B

I set the Temporary property of my TadxCommandBar control to False, and I set all the child controls Temporary properties to False. The child controls are: TadxCommandBarButton, TadxCommandBarPopup (which has several TadxCommandBarButton controls.)

I unregistered my old plugin using regsvr32 /u Plugin.dll, and then I opened Word 2003. My plugin was gone. Then I registered my plugin using regsvr32 Plugin.dll. I opened word and and command bar showed up fine.

I closed Word and opened it again, and the command bar only had the "CATS v" dropdown menu. The icon from the left was missing, and the dropdown menu items were missing.

The only way to fix it was to unregister and re-register it again.

Am I supposed to set the Temporary property of EVERY control in the Word plugin or just for the command bar? I am only setting it to False in the command bar.
Posted 26 Jul, 2010 10:45:41 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hi Andrei,

In Word, every custom command bar and command bar control should have Temporary = False.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 26 Jul, 2010 11:03:58 Top
Andrei B

In my Plugin_IMPL.pas file, when viewing in Delphi 2009 designer, I have the following control icons laid out on the grid: adxCommandBar1, adxMainMenu1, adxRibbonOfficeMenu1, adxWordTaskPanesManager1, adxRibbonTab1, adxWordAppEvents1.

I have set the adxCommandBar1.Temporary property to False, and also for all of the child controls of the command bar I have set the Temporary property to False.

We are still experiencing the problem on this one machine. It happens every time you run Word. The only way to fix it is to unregister and reregister and that is only a one time fix until you run word again.

Please advise.
Posted 27 Jul, 2010 10:07:40 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hi Andrei,

Make sure normal.dot is writable. Clear the Prompt to Save Normal Template flag in Tools | Options | Save. Unregister your add-in; make sure your toolbar doesn't exist in Word; remove HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\Word\Addins\{your add-in}\CommandBars and HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\Word\Addins\{your add-in}\Controls. Turn all other COM add-ins off. Then register your add-in. Does the issue persists?

Andrei Smolin
Posted 27 Jul, 2010 10:59:17 Top
Andrei B

I went to C:\Documents and Settings\Designer\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates on my computer and I checked the file and Normal.dot is writable by my user.

I went to Word > Tools > Options > Save and the Prompt to save Normal template was already unchecked.

I went to HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\Word\Addins\ and HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\Word\Addins\ but I could not find a key for my plugin.

Then I re-registered the plugin using regsvr32.

I ran Word 2003. The plugin shows fine like its supposed to. Then I quit word. I started word again the problem came back.

The only way to fix the problem seems to be to re-register the plugin.
Posted 29 Jul, 2010 16:33:50 Top
Andrei B

Hi Andrei,

We are still experiencing this problem and we don't know exactly what's causing it or how to replicate it. It just happens on some computers but only with Word 2003.

Can you test our plugin on one of your machines to try to replicate the problem? You can find a link to our Word plugin at the bottom of this page: http://catsone.com/content/wordtoolbar

Thank you
Posted 05 Aug, 2010 14:35:39 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hi Andrei,

I've just installed your add-in on a system with Office 2003 and reproduced the issue.

I've checked the Tag property of all command bar controls in word and found that the command bar control mentioned in HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\Word\Addins\{your add-in}\Controls is the button that you add to the main menu. On the other hand, a test add-in generates entries in that key for every control having Temporary = False. I have an impression the popup and its controls still have Temporary=True. Can you please verify this?

Andrei Smolin
Posted 06 Aug, 2010 09:19:08 Top