Security Manager and Outlook 2016

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Security Manager and Outlook 2016

Thomas

Hi,

Do I still need Security Manager with Outlook 2016? I can send emails without any security warning. I'm confused...

Thanks.
Posted 22 Dec, 2016 16:40:24 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Thomas,

You'll start receiving security warnings if you turn your antivirus off. Or, you can set the Always warn me about suspicious activity option; see File | Options | Trust Center | Trust Center Settings... | Programmatic Access.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 23 Dec, 2016 06:30:01 Top
Thomas

Hi Andrei,

Thank you for the explaination.

I've made some testing, and even with the "Always warn me" On, the Windows Defender Off, I don't receive notifications. I don't understand why.

Using a non administrative (standard) account doesn't change anything.

In the previous versions, calling
olInsp := OutlookApp.ActiveInspector();
olMail := OutlookApp.ActiveInspector.CurrentItem as Outlook2010.MailItem;
olMail.Send();
would fire the Security advisor.

Regards.
Posted 27 Dec, 2016 04:12:32 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Thomas,

Do you do this from an add-in? You should do this from a standalone programming. Please check https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ff864479.aspx.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 27 Dec, 2016 07:25:30 Top
Thomas

Hi Andrei,

Yes, I am doing this (simplified code) from an Add-in to send the active email after making some changes.

This code was working in Outlook 2007 (when I wrote it) with Security Manager. Apparently a lot of things changed since them... :).

Regards.
Posted 27 Dec, 2016 15:33:08 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Thomas,

According to that page, a COM add-in using the Application object that is passed to the OnConnection event of the add-in, such an add-in is perfectly safe. In Add-in Express, you use *this* Application object if you use the OutlookApp property of the add-in module. To get an unsafe Outlook.Application object you'd need to modify the code as follows:

olMail := OutlookApp.Application.ActiveInspector.CurrentItem as Outlook2010.MailItem;

Still, there's one more scenario not related to the above: an Exchange admin can modify some setting so that any code (an add-in or standalone application) calling Outlook.Namespace.CurrentUser gets a security warning. You can only bypass it if you use Security Manager.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 28 Dec, 2016 06:44:33 Top
Thomas

Hello Andrei,

Thank you for this explenation.

Regards.
Posted 30 Dec, 2016 12:55:01 Top