dll gets disabled in word

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

dll gets disabled in word

Bart Van Bossche

Hi,

We created a dll which can be used in Word. We have tried this dll on several computers in our company with several Office versions and had no issues.
We have placed this dll in a few offices of our clients and most of them don't have a problem.
We do have one client who has problems with our dll.
On some of their computers everything works great. On some other computers (with the same OS and the same Office version) there sometimes is a problem with the dll. Sometimes the dll gets disabled somehow. The only way to get the dll working again is by manually deleting the dll from Word and have our main program register the dll again.

Any ideas what might cause this?

Sincerely,

Bart Van Bossche
Posted 08 Apr, 2014 08:13:21 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Bart,

Could you please re-install your add-in on that machine, start Word and send me a copy of these files:

-{My Documents}\Add-in Express\adxregistrator.log in the profile of the user who runs the installer
-{My Documents}\Add-in Express\adxloader.log in the profile of the user who starts Word

You can find the support email address in {Add-in Express installation folder}\readme.txt. Please make sure your email contains a link to this topic.

Alternatively, you can post these files here.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 08 Apr, 2014 08:23:05 Top
Bart Van Bossche

Hi Andrei,

I'm going to wait a bit before re-installing the dll. I'm going to ask them to update our program first, so it will be something for later next week.
As soon as I have the logs, I'll send them to you.

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,

Bart
Posted 11 Apr, 2014 08:56:24 Top
Bart Van Bossche

Hi Andrei,

We tried our dll again with the same client and after a full week of no problems, today they had the same problem again.
When they started Word, our dll wasn't active so I activated the dll and I saw my ribbon buttons from our dll.
When I closed Word and started it again, I noticed that our dll was activated but disabled. I couldn't enable our dll again.
The only way I could use our dll again was to open Word and delete my dll from it, close Word and restart our main program to register our dll again. Afterwards our dll was working again.

I went looking for the log files you requested, but they are nowhere to be found. I checked my own computer as well and those files are also missing on my computer...

Any ideas?

Sincerely,

Bart
Posted 09 May, 2014 07:21:48 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Bart,

Bart Van Bossche writes:
When I closed Word and started it again, I noticed that our dll was activated but disabled. I couldn't enable our dll again.

It looks like your add-in doesn't handle some exception and Word disables it. You can re-enable such an add-in in the Disabled Items list:

Office 2002-2003:
?Â?Ð?? Go to the main menu -> Help -> About -> click Disabled Items
Excel 2007, Word 2007, PowerPoint 2007:
?Â?Ð?? Click the Microsoft Office Button
?Â?Ð?? Go to {application name} Options->Add-ins
?Â?Ð?? Select Disabled Items from the Manage drop-down list at the bottom of the window and click Go.
Outlook 2007:
?Â?Ð?? Go to the Outlook menu -> Tools -> Trust Center -> Add-ins
?Â?Ð?? Select Disabled Items from the Manage drop-down list at the bottom of the window and click Go.
Office 2010-2013:
?Â?Ð?? Click File -> Options -> Add-ins

Bart Van Bossche writes:
I went looking for the log files you requested, but they are nowhere to be found.

That was my fault: these files don't exist in the VCL edition of Add-in Express. I'm sorry for the confusion.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 12 May, 2014 03:07:11 Top
Bart Van Bossche

Andrei Smolin writes:
It looks like your add-in doesn't handle some exception and Word disables it.

Any way to detect these exceptions? When I have some faulty code in my initialize, I get an exception error so I know something is wrong, but I never got an error when trying to close the addin.
Andrei Smolin writes:
That was my fault: these files don't exist in the VCL edition of Add-in Express. I'm sorry for the confusion.

Any way to get more information for VCL components?
Posted 12 May, 2014 03:23:38 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Bart,

I suggest that you wrap the code of event procedures into try/catch blocks.

Bart Van Bossche writes:

Andrei Smolin
Posted 12 May, 2014 07:14:07 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Oh, sorry - I've pressed the Enter button too hasty.

Bart Van Bossche writes:

No such way exists.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 12 May, 2014 07:33:35 Top