Excel Custom Pane

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Excel Custom Pane
which one to use 
Adam Russell

I ran into the same problem as this Topic http://www.add-in-express.com/forum/read.php?FID=1&ACTION=FORUM_SUBSCRIBE&TID=5242&MID=26101&phrase_id=1633587

The cause (and thus the solution) was exactly the same: I had deleted a task pane from my project but the TAddinModule.TaskPanes collection has an item that points to the non-existent task pane

this came about because I had added the task pane in the New Com Addin wizard, rather than by adding TadxExcelTaskPanesManager to the Addin Module (as described in the Developers guide: Step #11 ?Â?Ð?ã Adding Custom Task Panes in Excel 2000-2013 etc)

I was then having problems with code that was meant for the TadxExcelTaskPanesManager and not TAddinModule.TaskPanes collection. I ended up deleting the TaskPane created in the wizard and then following the steps outlined in Step #11 of the Developers manual.

to be honest I had no idea that the module even had a TAddinModule.TaskPanes collection.

So my question is: what is the difference between these two sets of task panes? what are the pros and cons of the different task panes. And which one is recommended for future use?
Posted 17 Jan, 2013 04:34:20 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Adam,

There are two task pane types:
- Custom Task Panes (CTP) from Microsoft; these are supported by the following applications of Office 2007 and higher: Access, Excel, InfoPath, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, as well as by Project 2010 and higher.
- Advanced Office Task Panes by Add-in Express; these are available for COM add-ins targeting Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word (Office 2000 and above).

I cannot advise which task pane to use because the panes provide different object models and look-n-feel (see http://www.add-in-express.com/add-in-net/office-task-panes.php). Add-in Express panes rely on the window architecture of the host application. We saw a number of changes in the window architecture of different Outlook versions e.g. you cannot use Add-in Express panes to customize the Calendar folder in Outlook 2010-2013.

Inserting your control into the window system of the host application is possible due to a number of compromises. And this is why you can find a lot of cases when this or that control (or its functionality) doesn't work correctly on CTPs or Add-in Express panes. In case of our panes, we always try to provide a solution or workaround ASAP. In case of Microsoft panes, well, their cycles are a way lengthier.

We don't have sample projects related to CTPs because a CTP is simple: no methods, properties are obvious, just two events. If you do need such a sample, please give me more details about its functionality.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 17 Jan, 2013 06:31:26 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Adam,

In the manual, we have these chapters related to custom task panes:
- Sequence of Events When an Office 2007-2013 Custom Task Pane Shows up
- Adding an Office 2007-2013 Custom Task Pane to an Existing Add-in Express Project

Not sure if this helps.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 17 Jan, 2013 06:38:36 Top
Adam Russell

thanks Andrei.

just to close this out:

1) Custom Task Panes are the components managed in the TAddinModule.TaskPanes collection; these are the Task Panes created in the "New Item" Wizard for COM Addin

2) Adx Advanced Task Panes are managed via ADX drop-in components (e.g. TadxExcelTaskPanesManager)

is this correct?

tia,
a.
Posted 17 Jan, 2013 11:45:23 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Exactly.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 18 Jan, 2013 01:17:40 Top