Unable to register DLL

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Unable to register DLL
RegSvr32 fails with 0x3 error 
George Spears

Hello,

I am testing a DLL that I have written with Add-In Express. It registers fine on my computer...
(Win 7 64 bit, with development Delphi 2010 environment.) I take the Dll over to another computer and try to register it with "regsvr32 DocAssistCom.dll" and I get an error. I run the command from the directory which has the DLL file.

The second computer is a Windows 7 64 bit computer as well. It does NOT have a development environment installed, although it has the same version of Office (Office 2010 32 bit). It is properly patched (i.e. up to date).

The 1st error is:
Runtime error 217 at 024496F8

The second error then pops up which says:
"The module "DocAssistCom.dll" failed to load.
Make sure the binary is stored at the specific path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent DLL files.

A dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed."

I initially tried to install this via InnoScript (which also has GDIplus.dll in it as well. Same error..

In Googling around, I found this...
Delphi executables will die with runtime error 217 when an exception was raised before SysUtils is initialized or after it is finalized. In both situations the regular exception handling is not put in place.

Any thoughts?

GS
Posted 12 Dec, 2011 09:58:10 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello George,

Can you send me the DLL to the support email address? Please find the address in {Add-in Express installation folder}\readme.txt. And make sure your email contains a link to this topic.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 12 Dec, 2011 10:39:07 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

George,

Thank you for the DLL and the code. We reproduce the issue. Most probably, the problem occurs in the code you add to the initialization section. Note that it is recommended that you run this code in the AddinInitialize or even AddinStartupComplete event, that is when your addin starts working and not when your DLL is loaded (regsvr32 loads it, too).

Andrei Smolin
Posted 13 Dec, 2011 03:03:15 Top
George Spears

Andrei,

That was the culprit... So when I run regsvr32, it appears that the INITIALIZATION portion of my code is run then as well as when the user is running the plugin. Is that correct?
Posted 13 Dec, 2011 07:41:02 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

George,

Exactly.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 13 Dec, 2011 08:39:18 Top