Please excuse my silliness. I’ve been up since 2.30am just to watch a tennis match. And to call it “just a tennis match” is offensive to true tennis fans like Sveta & I. This was the 27th meeting in the most epic rivalry the game has ever seen. So yes, I took a nap then arose at 2.15am to clear the grogginess and brew some coffee.
As I write today’s newswire, I’ve already had so much coffee that I feel how Mr. CoffeeHead looks. I bet you know the feeling.
Okay then. On to the newswire!
Office 365 news
- Our Office 365 experience (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3) :: From RedmondMag.com, this is one man’s experience as he migrates his company from Google Apps to Office 365. Part 2 has the most meat while Part 3 is a good summary.
- The imminent Word Processing bloodbath :: Google Apps? Office 365? How about IBM Docs? I’d say no thanks to IBM Docs without even taking time for cursory review. I blame my days at Coopers & Lybrand when we were forced to use Lotus 123 and Lotus Ami Pro. I kid you not when I confess that I purchased a copy of Office with my own cash. Then I authored documents with Excel and Word and then pasted them into 123 and Ami Pro. Ridiculous but true. Bet on MSFT to win this bloodbath. In the meantime, you can more views on the subject here and here.
- The five reasons Google Docs is not ready to replace Excel :: Google Docs can be convenient in a pinch. The pinch being you’re at a buddies house and need to do some quick and dirty spreadsheet work to model the financials for your new startup idea. But if you want to do more… like build data visualizations, you might want to quickly step away from Google Docs and use the best spreadsheet tool on the planet… Microsoft Excel. Call me biased.
- Office 365 and the future of Cloud :: I hesitated to add this item but I liked the author’s analogy. If you are new to the newswire and are working to get your head around “Office in the cloud”, be sure and read this item.
- [Infographic] – Office 365 & small business :: This is better than the normal infographic fare. These guys tell the backstory of this infographic as well as show some variants from the final design. I found it to be quite cool but I tend to dork-out (or geek-out) with infographics.
Office 365 tips & tricks & tools
- Who gets what in SharePoint Online? :: A quick and dirty break down of the differences between the two plans.
- Leveraging Office 365 for project collaboration success :: From MSFT Downloads, there is a document and video that will help you collaborate on projects using Office 365.
- Tools4ever connects to Microsoft Office 365 for automated user management :: Another tool for connecting Office 365 with Active Directory.
- Troubleshooting Exchange ActiveSync in Exchange Online for Office 365 :: Two videos to help you if you are experiencing this issue.
- Outlook performance troubleshooting including Office 365 :: Turns out that monitoring network latency in the cloud is not as easy as it is with on-premise Exchange. But all is not lost as this guide helps show the way.
- Configuring and using an iPad with Office 365 :: Do you have a fancy new iPad? Did your company join the cool kids and recently adopt Office 365? This article will help you connect the two. The best part of the article is the beginning, when the author blames all issues on Safari. Some things never change.
Office 365 developer news
- How to: Use Visual Studio 11 to publish solutions to SharePoint Online :: From the looks of this article, it looks like our future as SharePoint Online developers will be filled with less cursing.
- Office 365 – Attach files from SharePoint to Outlook E-mail programmatically :: Pieter does it again with a solid code sample. He’s just proving again that the best place for Office 365 developer content is right here at Add-in-Express.
Cutting room floor
- [Video] – Sky Drive and Office :: This is worth watching for the animation itself. I like it.
- 25 best small business apps for 2012 :: Office 365 makes the top 10.
- Understanding storage allocations in SharePoint Online
- Office 365 icon set
And we’re done!
Have a great weekend.
*BTW – I received a few calls regarding before yesterday’s Office Newswire. It seems more than a few of you are concerned that maybe my brother and I don’t get along. Nothing could be further from the truth. But I am grateful for the concern.